Chapter 40

Grayson's POV

I put the coffee pot down and tell myself that this is my third and last cup today. I sigh and check on the bacon behind me, stirring it a little. No one likes half-burnt half raw bacon. 

My eyes wander to the kitchen entrance where Alyssa will be coming through at any moment. I rub my eyes and sigh, composing myself. I'm not mad at her, I'm just worried and disappointed. What was she doing up there with Damon and why? 

I sip my coffee and shake off any sexual body touching thoughts that fill my mind. No body's touching my baby sister like that. Ever. 

This isn't Alyssa. She's always honest and tells Ethan and I everything. Well, if she can't tell Ethan than she normally just tells me because let's face it, Ethan's not very good with Alyssa's emotions. Alyssa and Ethan are two of the most stubborn people I know and when you put them together it's a never-ending conflict. 

I wanna talk to her and find out what was going through her mind last night. I don't need Alyssa turning into mom. Getting pregnant at a young age and taking drugs. Okay, maybe not drugs, but you never know. 

I pull the cooked crispy bacon from the pan and onto some paper tissues. Once the oil drains, I lay them on a plate and complete it with toast. Where's Alyssa? She's always downstairs before breakfast. 

I wipe my hands on a dishtowel and make my way upstairs. I knock on her door but there's no answer. 

"Alyssa?" I say quietly, opening the door. 

Her bed is empty but has clothes laid out on top. I finally hear the shower and sigh. Of course, she's stalling. Every time we have an argument, she showers in the morning. Alyssa's a fan of nighttime showers. That's why it's odd that she's showering in the morning. I sigh and shut the door. I definitely need to talk to her and find out what's going on, because this, this is not the Alyssa I know. 

I walk back downstairs and turn the oven on, warming up her breakfast. I just wish Alyssa would trust me with information. I think that if we talked more, there would be fewer issues regarding trust and discipline. 

Ethan seemed pretty upset last night when I checked up on him. I think he's just having issues what with Alyssa growing up and having a boyfriend. Ethan and I actually thought that she wasn't talking to Damon because she hadn't mentioned him recently. For a whole week Ethan, grandma and I were laying low and trying to get Alyssa to open up. That was before she started going out more regularly for walks and "fresh air" apparently. Oh how naive Ethan and I felt when we put two and two together that she was visiting Damon and doing god knows what with him. 

I shudder at the thought and quickly pull myself together as I hear footsteps coming down the stairs. 

"Morning," I say, offering a small smile. 

Alyssa freezes and I would laugh if she didn't look so upset. 

"Take a seat. I've got your breakfast"

She sits down and fiddles with her hands as I place the food in front of her. She picks up her fork but doesn't move it. 

"Eat, Aly"

She sighs and looks at me. "I'm sorry about last night, Gray. I never meant to hurt you guys"

I sigh too and start washing some dishes. 

"We'll talk about it later," I say. 

"Pfft, yeah. You'll talk but Ethan will yell"

I look at Alyssa and see her moving some bacon around her plate slowly, frowning.