· Therapy ·

***

Alyssa's POV

***

I wake up around noon and groan in pain when I roll over my wrist. I sit up and observe the bandage before remembering what happened last night. I sigh and rub my eyes. 

When I open them, I see the dent in the wall and the fallen flaky pieces of white plaster on the floor. I hate myself. I hate myself so much. How could I let myself spiral out of control like that and break my whole fucking hand? It fucking hurts too. 

"Morning"

My eyes direct their attention to the doorway of my bedroom where Grayson stands. He's fully dressed in jeans and a white shirt, a baseball cap sitting backwards on his head. In his words, the douchebag hat. I notice that he's shaved too. 

"Hey," I reply, sticking my bandaged hand under the covers. It's stupid because he knows I have it but I hide it anyway. I'm ashamed of it. 

"How are you feeling?" Grayson asks. I can hear a hint of sadness in his voice. 

"I'm o-okay," I mumble. 

"Yeah?" Gray says, offering a small smile. "How's the hand?"

"Still broken," I sigh. 

"Oh, really? I wouldn't have guessed," Gray smiles, teasing me gently. 

I'm not in the mood for jokes and Gray sighs, taking my good hand in his. 

"Aly, what's wrong, honey?"

"I feel awful. I feel so ashamed and hurt for myself. I wish grandma didn't have to see me like that, as well as you and Ethan. I was just angry and acted on impulse. I hate myself"

Grayson sighs and rubs my back slowly. "Alyssa, it's okay. Everyone understands"

"It's not okay," I sigh, pulling my knees up to my chest and resting my chin on them. "I feel really bad"

"Alyssa, nothing's your fault, you know that right?"

I shrug and Grayson sighs. 

"Mom having a drug addiction wasn't your fault, yeah? Dad leaving, again, wasn't your fault. You didn' deserve any of the abuse or the negative self-talk"

Grayson counts them off on his fingers and starts to make me feel a little better. He's right. I couldn't have stopped those things from happening. The would've happened regardless. 

"You didn't deserve me yelling at you either," Grayson says, cupping the side of my face. "Or Ethan and I arguing. We're sorry, angel. Ethan and I are trying our hardest to be there for you and set our own issues aside. You're what's important right now, okay?"

I nod and Grayson sighs softly. "C'mere Aly"

He hugs me and I remind myself that Grayson isn't dad. He's Grayson and he's here to love and care for me. He's not going to hurt me and I'm safe. 

I'm safe.

I slowly put my arms around Gray's neck and rest my chin on his shoulder. He's warm and comforting and I feel reassured that everything's going to be okay. I feel safe and his gentle tone just makes me want to cry. 

"Alyssa," Gray says, pulling away after a few minutes. "I know that you're against getting help but Ethan and I found the perfect doctor. You can do it from home and it's just for a few weeks-"

"I'll do it," I say.

Gray looks surprised when the words leave my mouth. He smiles and I see tears fill his eyes. I know how much this means to the twins.