Chapter 38

Alyssa's POV

"Ms Dolan? Would you care to answer this for us?"

I look at Mr Chender's expecting eyes and I sigh, looking at the math equation on the board. It stares back at me and I have a sudden desire to get an axe and hack the board apart.

"Ms Dolan? We're waiting"

I know you're waiting dumbass.

"I-I can't"

He gives me a look before turning around and solving it for himself. I sigh in relief and flop back in my chair, the classes eyes lifting off of me. All except one pair.

I smile and shake my head when Damon's eyes lock with mine. He smirks and goes back to his notebook, leaving my heart feeling warm and fuzzy.

When the bell rings for break, Damon makes his way over to my desk and chuckles. I groan.

"What, Damon?"

"Haha, your face before"

"Hey, you've never been under Mr Chender's wrath"

I grab my bag and he puts an arm around me as we walk out of the classroom and down the hallway towards the playing fields.

"Fuck, I'm tired" I yawn, sliding onto a picnic bench.

Damon frowns. "You didn't sleep well last night?"

I shrug. "It's normal. My insomnia's acting up again"

He shrugs and stands up, throwing his hoodie in my face. I laugh and chuck it back at him.

"I think I know something that'll cheer you up"

***

I lick the rest of the brownie off my fingers and nod as Damon chuckles, taking a bite of his own brownie.

"You're right," I say, cleaning my hands with a napkin. "This has cheered me up"

Damon laughs and smirks.

"Told you"

Home

"Hey, honey"

I shut the door behind me and sigh when I hear Ethan's voice.
He's been like this all week. Grayson too. Grandma's being slightly more normal but decided to stay for another two weeks. I think the twins talked her into it.

I sigh and nod at Ethan, walking towards my room.

"Hang on, do you want something? Need something?"

I sigh and place my hand on the stair banister, wishing the ground would just swallow me up. I hate how everyone's just walking on eggshells avoiding telling me to do anything like chores. They think I'm hurt and broken and weak and it's killing me. I hate how Grayson hasn't scolded me for sitting on the counters in the kitchen or how Ethan hasn't been pushing me to up my grades and do my homework like he always does. A few weeks ago, I'd have hated it but it seems so normal that I miss it. I don't even know why they're doing this, but by the way they're acting is telling me that somethings up. Either with them, or granny or even me. Probably me. Most likely me.

"I'm good" I reply.

I start walking upstairs when I hear Ethan sigh. I roll my eyes and make sure to shut my door extra loudly. Halfway between slamming and closing.
Oh my bed!
I flop onto it and hug it, the scent of my room making me feel more relaxed about the craziness downstairs. I groan when I realize I have homework. I'm about to pull it out of my bag when my phone buzzes in my back pocket.