081

Sometimes I forgot I was pregnant.

Honestly. My pregnancy had been so easy so far, just the normal sore breasts and occasional overwhelming exhaustion. So, when Seungwoo and I pulled up to the gynaecologist's office for our second trimester appointment, my heart skipped a beat in nervous anticipation. We're about to find out the sex of our baby. So, around eighteen weeks, at the earliest.

"What are you thinking about?" Seungwoo stole a quick glance at me as he maneuvered the car into a parking space.

"Being pregnant." I answered vaguely, scratching at my chin. "It doesn't feel real?"

"It doesn't, does it?" Seungwoo agreed, his tone thoughtful. He turned off the ignition, but the sounds of Neon Bunny's "It's You" still filled the car. "I always thought about it. It's kind of chill this time. I don't know how I feel about it."

"Yeah, right?"

Seungwoo snorted. "You complain about not being able to drink all the damn time."

I socked him gently in the arm. "With a husband like you, I need to drink all the damn time."

He rolled his eyes and unbuckled his seatbelt. "Yeah, I'm so hard to handle. I'm the worst husband in the world."

I blew him a kiss as he stepped out of the car. He pretended to catch it, then threw it to the ground and stomped on it. I gasped, and he flashed me a wicked grin.

We held hands in the uncomfortable waiting room. A young girl was there, looking nervous as she filled out a patient information form. She kept tapping the pen against her teeth and the noise began to grate on my nerves.

"Why do you look so glum, chum?" Seungwoo cocked his head at me, snapping his fingers in my face to attract my attention.

I yawned. "I'm tired."

"What else is new?" He absentmindedly ran his thumb over the back of my hand. "You're always tired. I felt like I'm living with a bear I accidentally woke up from hibernation."

"You're quite rude today." I commented, glancing at the girl to see a small smile gracing her face. We made eye contact and she hurriedly looked away.

"A chip off the old block, eh?" Seungwoo elbowed me in a jocular fashion.

"And weird." I added, shoving his elbow away from my stomach. "I've got a baby in here, sir. No elbows allowed."

"I wish you had a million babies in there." Seungwoo mused. "Or seven."

I made a face at him. "I wish you would shut up."

"What if you really were having seven babies?" He asked, rubbing his hand along my stomach. "Where would we even live?"

"Honestly, I don't think I would survive that birth, so that's up to you to worry about. I will pass peacefully into the afterlife and leave you with the seven babies."

Seungwoo looked stricken. I laughed at his expression.

"Baby." He scolded. "Don't make jokes about you dying in childbirth. That's one of my fears."

I raised an eyebrow. "Seungwoo, it's not the Joseon era. I'm not going to die in childbirth."

"You never know!" He insisted. "So, don't joke about it! I don't need to have another nightmare and wake up in a cold sweat again."

I giggled. "I forgot about that. Man, you love me too much."

He scoffed. "Like you never have dreams about me dying. You cling to me in your sleep all the time and tell me not to go."