The Settlement

The next morning when Rachel woke up, she grabbed the permission forms and left for school. Rachel hated fighting with Chloe, but she felt like she had to do this program. She knew that it was a trap, but maybe if she was ready for it, it would be fine. She knew if she didn't do the program, and something bad happened to Kate, she would never forgive herself. She doesn't want to live her life thinking what if, what if Kate got hurt and she could have done something to stop it.

Rachel read through the information multiple times, it was happening at the school, Rachel was pretty familiar with the school and could probably get away if she needed to. It was Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm which weren't suspicious hours. Rachel knew Mr.Jefferson was doing this so people would sign up for it, obviously if it said 10:00 pm to 4:00 am and it was in some creepy alleyway nobody would sign up for it.

When Rachel got to school she went to Mr.Jefferson's classroom, right before she knocked on the door she thought about it for one last time, after this, she had to go. Rachel knew Chloe was right, that this was a stupid idea but she also knew Kate needed someone to protect her. Rachel wouldn't be able to live with herself if something happened to Kate and she could have stopped it. Rachel knocked on the classroom door "Come in." she heard Mr.Jefferson say. Rachel walked in and gave him the permission forms, "I'll see you this summer." Mr.Jefferson said.

When Rachel left the classroom a thought came to her, her parents had never given her a check to give Mr.Jefferson. Rachel thought back to the information, it never said there was a fee, that was weird. There was no way Mr.Jefferson was devoting pretty much his whole summer to this for free and for no reason. Maybe the fee is included when my parents paid for the school year, Rachel thought, but then she remembered her parents paid for the school year at the beginning of the year, and she didn't decide to do the program until last night. Now she knew for sure that Mr.Jefferson was up to something.

Rachel thought about how she would tell Chloe that she joined the photography program despite Chloe telling her not to. Rachel felt really bad when she thought about how Chloe said she would take a bullet for her, of course, Rachel would do the same thing for Chloe but how can you do the opposite of what someone said after telling you that. Though that was exactly what Rachel had just done.

When Chloe came to pick up Rachel, Rachel was silent, for the first 5 minutes of the car ride she was working up the courage to tell Chloe she had done exactly what she told her not to do. Whenever she looked over at Chloe she could tell Chloe thought she was mad at her. "Um Chloe, I have to tell you something." Rachel said quietly.

"So now you will talk to me."

"I'm really sorry" Rachel was about to tell Chloe she had signed up for the program but Chloe interrupted her and said, "It's fine Rachel, I just think it's a bad idea to do the program, I'm not mad at you."

"I was actually going to tell you that I signed up for the program, I gave Mr.Jefferson the permission form today.". The truck stopped. Chloe started driving again and parked in front of a grocery store. "Rachel I told you not to do that, I thought you cared enough to listen to me. I tell you I would take a bullet for you, and you go and sign up for the program anyway! Do I mean nothing to you?" Rachel could see the pain on Chloe's face. "Chloe you mean everything to me, but I have to protect Kate."

"You have to, so you don't want my help. It's obvious you like Kate more than me, so go date her.". Rachel was surprised by this, Rachel had never once thought of Kate as anything other than a friend. "Chloe it's not like that."

"Sure."

"Really Chloe, it's not." Rachel said with tears in her eyes.

"Chloe, I love you and only you, Kate is a friend of mine, but you were the one who was always there for me, you were there for me when my dad hit me, when I learned about my mother, Chloe you were my first kiss."

"You swear Kate doesn't mean anything to you?"

"I swear.". Rachel said. Rachel hadn't realized that Chloe felt that way about her and Kate, Rachel never liked Kate that way.

"Do you want to get chocolate milkshakes?" Rachel asked.

"Sure." Chloe replied.

Once they were seated at with their chocolate milkshakes Rachel said: "Can I just explain myself, I want you to know why I want to do this."

"Sure." Chloe said.

"I told you this part already, but I want to protect Kate, she doesn't know what Mr.Jefferson is up to, and if neither of us can actually stop her from doing anything then she could still get hurt. I can stop that from happening, I need to stop that from happening. If something happens to her, and I could have stopped it I wouldn't be able to live with myself. What if he did something really bad to her and I just watched it happen instead of doing something.". Chloe hadn't realized Rachel felt like this.

"Rachel I get it, I don't want you to do the program, and I would do anything to stop you from it, but I also don't want you to live your life thinking what if. If it were up to me I wouldn't let you do it, and I don't want you to do it, but obviously I can't stop you. Even though I can't stop you from doing the program I will protect you from getting hurt. I love you Rachel Amber."

"I love you too Chloe Price." Rachel said, kissing Chloe.