Max

Chloe left the Junkyard and went back to school, that way maybe David would think she was there all day. At the end of the day, Joyce came to pick Chloe up and said: "I got a call from the school that you weren't there all morning."

"I umm, was helping Rachel."

"Chloe what did you do?"

"I can't tell you that, but I need you to trust me mom."

"Chloe I do trust you, but at the same time I need you to not ditch school."

"Ok, I won't do it again."

"Ok, thank you"

When Chloe walked into her room she heard "Rachel please come home.", and then another voicemail, "Rachel, I better see you in my house by the end of the day!". Rachel looked at Chloe and said "He has been calling me all day,"

"Oh now my mo- Rose is calling me," Rachel said and decided to answer. "Hi Rachel, I was wondering what do you want for dinner, or are you going to have another sleepover?" Chloe could see Rachel's face change.

"What has he been telling you?"

"Who, your father, he hasn't told me anything, was he supposed to tell me you are sleeping over at Chloe's again?"

"No, he is supposed to tell you why I'm never stepping foot in HIS house again."

"Rachel, if this is about your mother, he was trying to protect you."

"This isn't about my mom, he hit me." Rachel heard Rose gasp, and then she was silent. "Are you ok, where did he hit you?" Chloe couldn't hear Rose but she saw Rachel smile a little. "Ya I'm ok, it's just I really don't want to come back home right now."

"Ok keep me posted."

"Ok, bye." Rachel said hanging up. Chloe gave Rachel a hug and the two girls hugged in silence.

"Chloe, who's that girl in the picture with you?" Rachel said pointing to a picture with Chloe and Max. "Oh that's my friend Max, she moved to Seattle Right after my dad died."

"I'm sorry."

"She took a million pictures of us, and not one of them showed she was going to leave when I needed her most." Rachel didn't know how to respond to that.

Chloe wanted to tell Rachel all about Max and how she left her, and how she was mad at her, but at the same time, she missed Max. She could say how Max betrayed her and she never wanted to see Max again but she did want to see Max, whenever she got a text she would hope it was from Max replying to whatever Chloe said two weeks ago. The hardest part was she would reply every once in a while, right when Chloe gave up hope of Max texting her back she would get a text from Max.

Chloe got up and grabbed the tape recorder where Max said how sorry she was that she was leaving. The sticky note still on there saying I'm sorry, when it finished Chloe wiped away a tear. "We went through a pirate phase together, I was Captain Bluebeard and she was Long Max Silver.".

Rachel pulled Chloe into a hug "I'm sorry Chloe, I have made everything about me for the last few days, I haven't even asked about you."

"It is all about you right now because your dad is crazy, you don't need to worry about me."

Later that night while they were eating dinner there was a knock at the door, David went to go answer it. It was Rachel's dad, "Can I speak to Rachel?" which then Chloe responded with "It depends if Rachel wants to speak to you, in case you didn't notice Rachel is not an object." Joyce then said

"I think what Chloe means is we should let Rachel decide what she wants to do."

"Sure let's talk." Rachel said not moving.

"Somewhere private."

"You didn't say that you asked if you could talk to me, and I said yes, so tell me what you want to tell me."

"Rachel, I'm sorry I was wrong, I was so so wrong about everything. Please forgive me, I talked with your mother, and we realized how wrong I have been. Please come home, we miss you."

"She's not my mother."

"Sorry I meant to say Rose. Will you come home with me?"

"Only if Chloe comes" Rachel said and Chloe could tell Rachel was still nervous to go with her dad. "If it's ok with her parents."

"No," David said, at the same time Joyce said

"Yes." Joyce then said to David "David I am her mother, and I said it's fine if Chloe goes with Rachel." Joyce looked at Chloe and said, "You can go but you are bringing your school bag, and if I get a call from the school saying you're not there we're going to have a talk."

"Ok."

Chloe ran up to her room, grabbed her school bag and shoved some clothes, and a toothbrush in a different bag and ran back downstairs. Together the two girls got in Jame's car to go to Rachel's house.