Nathan Proves a Point

When Rachel got to school she had only 5 minutes until her first class, which, of course, was photography. She decided she would just go to class and be there 5 minutes early, when she got there she saw Nathan. Her first thought was why is he wearing shorts in February? Then she noticed the huge bruise on his leg when she looked up at his face she saw another huge bruise right by his eye.

"Nathan what happened." Rachel said assuming it was his dad who had done it.

"I um-" Nathan said, not so subtly looking at Mr.Jefferson.

"After class, he was getting some extra help from me, and on his way out he walked into a door." Mr.Jefferson interrupted.

"And he bruised his eye and leg, badly, on one door?" Rachel replied.

"Yes, he did. Right, Nathan."

"Yep." Rachel was surprised, usually, Nathan was a bad liar, but she almost believed him this time, almost.

"Was it that door?" Rachel said pointing at the door she came in through.

"Yes, Mrs.Amber it was that door." Rachel could tell Mr.Jefferson was getting annoyed with her but she didn't care. "How did he bruise his eye bumping into the door, there is nothing for his eye to hit, same with his leg, his stomach would have been plausible though.". Mr.Jefferson looked really annoyed, and said: "Rachel why do you involve yourself with other people's business?"

"Why are you lying about what happened to Nathan?".

"It's fine really." Nathan said, giving Rachel a look that said shut up.

"You sure you're ok Nathan." Rachel said, taking the hint.

"Ya, I'm fine."

"See he's fine." Mr.Jefferson said and walked away.

At lunch Rachel found Nathan. "Ok what really happened to you, was it your dad or was it Mr.Jefferson."

"I can't tell you."

"Yes you can, I won't tell anyone, you can trust me Nathan."

"I know I can trust you, and I do trust you, it's just that the more you involve yourself with Mr.Jefferson, the more trouble you get yourself into."

"Is that just a general rule?"

"What?" Nathan asked, confused.

"Does that apply to more people than just you and I, the way you said it, it sounded like you know other people that this has happened to." Nathan looked shocked, though Rachel could tell by his face that she was not wrong. "Just stay away from Mr.Jefferson Rachel, I'm trying to protect you."

"Then you should stay away from him too Nathan."

"I can't, the best thing you can do to help me is to keep your mouth shut and stay away from Mr.Jefferson."

"Then why did you wear shorts today, it's literally snowing out, obviously you were trying to prove a point."

"That is between me and Mr.Jefferson, I was trying to prove a point to him, which I'm now realizing was a stupid idea."

"So he was the one who hit you."

"I can't tell you that, all I can tell you is to stay the fuck away from him. Please Rachel."

"Fine I'll keep my mouth shut and stay away from him, but if you need me I'm here."

"Thank you Rachel." Nathan said, hugging Rachel.

Rachel had learned a few things from that conversation, 1: Mr.Jefferson was hurting Nathan. 2: There are more people who are "in too deep" as Nathan put it, with Mr.Jefferson. 3: Rachel needs to keep her mouth shut and stay away from Mr.Jefferson.

Later that day when Chloe picked Rachel up from school she said: "Guess what happened with Nathan."

"He decided to be an asshole again." Chloe responded, still obviously mad about the At least my dad is alive comment. "No, and I told you he was sorry."

"I don't care if he's sorry, he's a rich spoiled brat."

"He's going through a hard time right now."

"The bitch deserves it."

"Anyway when I got to school and Nathan he was wearing shorts with a huge bruise on his leg, and another huge bruise on his face. When I asked him what happened Mr.Jefferson interrupted and said he walked into a door, but that was a big lie because how would you bruise your leg and face by walking into a door."

"So Mr.Jefferson did it then?" Chloe said, and Rachel could tell she felt bad for Nathan.

"Yes, after class I asked him what really happened, and I learned a few things from Nathan, it was Mr.Jefferson who hurt Nathan, other people have deep shit with Mr.Jefferson, and egging Mr.Jefferson on isn't a good idea."

"Like other people who aren't from our school?"

"Ya, I'm pretty sure."

"Oh shit."

"Ya."

"I'm not all that surprised that Mr.Jefferson hit Nathan, it's Mr.Jefferson we're talking about."

"Ya, I guess you're right."

"And egging Mr.Jefferson on sounds fun, I don't blame you for doing it, though Nathan probably does have a point, it probably isn't a good idea."

"Ya probably not, but it's hilarious."

"I bet it is."