» 38 «

"-It's not even really my business what you do. I guess I just didn't expect it, you know. We hate that kid. I thought we did. And I liked it more that way, because-" For the first time during the conversation Wren's gaze lifted off the floor onto me, her brown eyes looking directly at me. She paused; it seemed as if she wasn't quite sure whether to continue or not.

I gave her an encouraging smile, prompting her to go on.

"-Just because that way, I didn't have any reasons to be jealous, I guess." Her cheeks flushed a bright shade of pink, and she was looking at the floor again, waiting for my response.

My stomach dropped at her words, and I wasn't quite sure what to think. I gulped, trying to understand and digest what she was telling me.

"So, you like him t-, you actually like Malfoy? I'm sorry, I had no idea!" I felt even worse than I did before, but my brows furrowed when she started laughing. I couldn't think of a single thing that was funny about this situation.

"Seriously?" She said, amused. "No, dummy. I don't like Malfoy."

"But- Oh," My eyes grew wide at the realisation, and my hand found itself in front of my mouth. "No, are you being serious, Wren?" My voice was full of surprise, and she nodded, not looking at me.

I didn't know what to say. I was flattered, of course, but at the same time, I felt awful. Every single person in existence would be lucky to have someone like her. But here I was, interested in an arrogant, self-centred, spoiled brat, instead.

Y/n Potter; the girl that was too oblivious to notice her best friend having feelings for her.

"I'm sorry, I just-" I began, but she interrupted me almost immediately.

"It's okay. You don't have to apologise for anything. I know you don't. And I had the last few weeks to come to terms with that. Let's just have everything go back to normal." Her voice was calm, but I could tell her hands were fidgeting in the pockets of her robe. "Please?"

I gave her an apologetic smile but nodded. There was nothing I wanted more than to have my best friend back. I threw my arms around her and pulled her into a tight hug.

Her body relaxed immediately, her tense posture loosening up as she hugged me back. "Maybe he's not as bad for you as I initially thought, you know." She mumbled into the hug, and I smiled.

No, maybe he wasn't.

✧·゚: *✧·゚:*✧

The whole school seemed to be going crazy over the Yule Ball. Even Harry was complaining he didn't have a date yet, and I never really took him for the type to really care.

I knew he was required to bring a date as he was one of the champions, but I also knew that wasn't the reason he was worried about it.

"Have you already asked someone?" I looked at Alexei, who was sitting next to me at the table, a curious look on my face. He took a second to swallow his food before looking at me with an eyebrow raised.

"Has anyone asked you already?" He redirected the question instead of answering it, and I rolled my eyes. He knew how much it annoyed me, which just made him do it more often.

"Nope," I shrugged, my eyes falling on Malfoy; the blonde deep in conversation with Parkinson. Before Alexei's eyes could follow mine, I diverted my attention back onto him, still waiting for his answer.

"Neither." His voice sounded just as disinterested in the whole ordeal as mine. "If you're not waiting for anyone in particular to ask you, we can just go together?"

Once again, my head span in Malfoy's direction, but his eyes were already on me this time. He seemed startled when he realised I was looking at him, and he quickly turned back to Parkinson.

She was giggling, playing with her short hair as she was talking to him. And for the first time, he didn't seem repelled by her.

I quickly shook my head, looking back at Alex. "Sure, that would be fun."

He nodded, a small smile on his face as he did so. "Who did Vik ask? I imagine the girls are lining up to be taken by him," I asked after a while.

"Harry Potter's friend. The smart one," He replied, the food still in his mouth as he spoke this time. After the initial shock, I smiled, remembering their little moment in the great hall.

"That's probably the smartest decision Viktor Krum has made in a while. I'm proud," I laughed, and Alex nodded frantically.

We finished dinner together, and I went to spent the rest of the evening with Wren, still catching up on the weeks we had wasted.

We were sitting in the common room, on one of the chairs in the corners, away from the majority of the other students. "So did he ask you to the ball, then?"

"Who? Malfoy?" I whispered back, making sure nobody heard the mention of his name. "Don't be ridiculous, as if that's ever gonna happen. Even if we would assume Harry wouldn't murder me the second he saw us together," I laughed half-heartedly and shook my head.

She thought for a second. "Well, do you want to go together, then? Purely as friends, of course," Her voice got quieter towards the end of her sentence, giving me a small smile while she spoke.

"Alex asked me earlier, actually, but we'll just all go together. We're going as friends as well, you know," I said, explaining the situation quickly and after I assured her it was fine, she agreed.

The smile I had on my face while we were talking fell as soon as I saw Malfoy and Parkinson walk into the common room together, the girl hanging onto his shoulder for dear life.

And while he did seem annoyed by her, the fact he didn't immediately shook her off was fairly telling.

His eyes scanned the room, ultimately landing on Wren and me. I swear I could see the corner of his mouth twitch into a smile, but the motion was too subtle to be sure.

The pair sat down on one of the couches, making the students who were sat on it beforehand get up. I rolled my eyes as she began giggling again, and tried to ignore them the best I could.

A/N: Going live on my Instagram seselinamae in two hours! Be there or be square x