Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen: The Wonderings of a Moth

Before Mason could even draw in another breath, Viscera attacked.

The air chilled to it's very core as blood-soaked tendrils shot out of the protogen, sharpened like spikes. Mason felt his heart race as he ducked, groaning a little as he was still slightly weary after his fight.

He kicked off with his left leg with unnatural strength, twisting his body to not only avoid the spike, but also use the curved blade of his sickle to cut cleanly through the first tendril. He landed hard onto his back, but a swift kick to the ground propelled him back to his paws.

The red tendril that he hadn't caught curved in the air, aimed once again towards him. He heard the faint sound of gurgling, as another tentacle was being formed out of Viscera's blood. The tangy scent of metallic blood lingered in the air.

Mason gripped his sickle hard as he started in the other direction, paws stamping hard into the ground as he rushed Viscera. With unequal grace, the rabbit flew across the surface, swiping down in an attempt to sever one of the robotic limbs of his opponent.

But Viscera had seen that coming. They had shot out another visceral bloodied limb and had pulled themselves away at the last moment. Mason grunted as he impacted air, nearly stumbling into a fall as Viscera had escaped him so suddenly.

Another gurgling sound resounded across the field as even more spikes and bloody tendrils appeared, and Viscera manifested themselves a long, curved blade. Mason twirled the blood soaked sickle in his hand, grinning.

Again, Mason charged Viscera. He whizzed across the grassy terrain in time to meet the tendrils head on. He twisted his paw around, spinning his body while stretching out his hand, cutting through three smaller tendrils, and half way through a large one.

He hit the ground in a run, though he was off his balance. He could feel his heartbeat thump in his chest as Viscera only glared at him through their visor, directing more of their blood towards Mason. That was good, they would need to waste all of their blood if Mason wanted a chance to hit them.

Mason glanced around as his heart raced, energy pumping through his veins. He spun his sickle in his hand, running in a circle in the hopes to get Viscera to attack, and to allow him to sever the blow flow.

He ran around the area for at least three minutes, just daring the protogen to attack. But by the end of that time, he was feeling his lungs burn, and he had to slow down to allow himself even the smallest chance of victory.

And that was when Viscera attacked.

Mason barely had time to react as hundreds of sharp tendrils shot out at him, twisting and spraying blood everywhere, "Blood-Haze Cacophony." Viscera pronounced, proud of themselves.

And in the next instant, a jumbled, incoherent screech erupted from the trembling tentacles of fluid. Mason squinted as the noise pierced his sensitive ears, but he did not back down. Special move or not, Mason was more than prepared.

He remembered making these moves. They took up so much energy that they were practically useless in a real fight, so they never saw the light of day besides these duels. Each of his protogen, baring Lunch-Rush, had two or more.

Mason ignored the pain in his ear as he slowed to a crawl, knowing that when the sound erupts, the tentacles barely move through the air. He had time to catch his breath for at least the next three seconds. Then, the ground would split.

And so did it. The air took on a blood red haze as the tentacles reached deep underground, expanding and growing thicker and lengthier, drawing so much blood from the protogen. Even their visor displayed their tiredness, and their sickness.