Chapter Forty-Seven

Chapter Forty-Seven: A Small Piece of Space

Ja'Kle could hardly feel his body anymore, a sort of cold numbness spreading through his body like a coiling plague in his stomach, spreading its influence upon his every limb and extremity. If it weren't for the fact that both Gear-Work and Renaissance were taking care of him, he would have been more than a little afraid.

Gear-Work did all the medical work, using all sorts of weird medical equipment and strange devices, and Renaissance did his best to provide warmth and healing by changing his spear into different colors. The light pink color raised his body temperature, in fact.

Although, he probably wouldn't have been so calm if not for the fact that Mason had appeared several hours into his inspections, and remained with him throughout the rest of his time there. The rabbit was solemn, but not upset. More so, he appeared slightly disconnected with reality for the most part.

Ja'Kle himself was having a hard time wrapping his head around the idea of what happened down on that wretched planet. Perhaps it wasn't the smartest idea, bringing him along, but he wanted to do more than just faint like someone that needed saving. He wanted to be of use, he wanted to help Mason fight, not be a liability.

And he surely felt that way at the moment. He was such a liability that they had to wait until he was better to do another Fold-Stream out of there, to get to the planets that were going to be ravaged by the Kakuralites

"Have we got any word back on the data?" Ja'Kle heard Mason ask by his side, sitting atop a small bench before the table that Ja'Kle was resting upon. His tired purple eyes were undeniably depressive, containing the visage of someone who just realized that they endangered a loved one, and was only now realizing it.

Renaissance sighed, sitting up from the seat opposite to Mason, unlatching his golden colored spear from the side of Ja'Kle, "Sadly, no. Rip-Cord has managed to crack into it, but it will take some time. I wasn't much help, so I came over."

"Ah." Mason replied simply, folding his hands together with a grim expression, "We need this data. It's... it's so vital to what we need to do, and we can't move without disrupting the process, nor without causing serious harm to... to Ja'Kle." Mason scoffed, pressing his face into his palms with a flimsy gust of air.

"I'm... I'm sorry." Ja'Kle told him, turning his head to the side. Mason shook his head, his ears whipping back and forth with the force of his gesture, "I probably shouldn't have come, all things considered..."

"No, it was mostly just my fault. I wanted to be with you, and the fact that we could give you some fight experience... I was clouded, and sadly, Freefall wasn't around to remind me of that." Mason chuckled sadly, his voice without humor.

"Nonetheless, it wasn't fruitless. We got what we wanted without you gaining any major external injuries. And, we got some new info on the Gods... I consider that a win no matter what." Mason continued, rubbing his hands together.

A comfortable silence befell the two as the conversation had run dry, as it had done four times before this. It was mostly just the three of them, Renaissance only joining an hour prior. Ja'Kle was wondering what everyone else was doing, but it wasn't his worry.

Not but fifteen minutes later did something, two things actually, happen. First, Renaissance received word from his communications center that he had received a transmission, one that the protogen, being one that is directly tethered to that station, could read out to Mason and Ja'Kle.

"Mason, Marissa, sorry to send a message so late in what had happened. I had just received a note of Gold-Standard's eruption, and the demise of the council. Condolences about your team aside, we have some bad news. Probably worse news once you get here, due to the time it will take you to get this." Renaissance read out loud.