Chapter Fifty-Three

Chapter Fifty-Three: My Fault

Among the few life forms that Ja'Kle had seen in his time searching through the databases back on his home not-there-anymore planet, he had never seen one quite like Axel.

Axel was a tall figure, imposing just by his stature alone. By his skull like markings, his pale brown fur with dark splotches of dark brown, almost black, fur dripping down his neck and mostly towards his stomach more so than his side. His muzzle never twitched up in a smile, even as he joked and laughed genuinely.

He wore a lab coat, one that was far different than the protogen's and synth's. Unlike the skin and armor tight black suites meant to keep out all different types of substances, he only wore white coat that stretched to his knees. His chest was completely barren, exposed to the air, and he wore shorts made out of some black material.

His voice was gruff, and yet mannerly. He had a distinct air of earned respect and jovial youngness to him that Ja'Kle couldn't quite place. It was hard to imagine that Axel came from the same place as Mason, and same for Marissa. The diversity on that planet must have been insane, he thought as Axel talked to Ja'Kles boyfriend.

Mason seemed to be in good spirits at least, and however embarrassed Ja'Kle was due to his outpour of emotion, he understood that Mason had no issue with it. The kiss was spontaneous, but Ja'Kle could at least tell that Mason liked it.

Granted, it was rather telling, based on a rather particular organ, but still.

As the two talked and mentioned this and that, Ja'Kle softly walked out of the way, allowing the protogen around him to individually hug and praise Mason. It wasn't that Ja'Kle felt that he was being ignored, nor did he even want to leave, but out of worry for the team. From his experience there, waiting for Mason, they cared a lot. Maybe even more than him.

Besides, based on Mason's tone of voice, Ja'Kle could tell the rabbit and hyena didn't talk all that often. They didn't even start talking about the Kakuralites when Ja'Kle left, which was a full five minutes after Ja'Kle had gotten off of the nude rabbit. There was definite history there, history that Ja'Kle knew he shouldn't disturb the reawakening of.

Mason saw that Marissa, Cotton, and Hannah were all hanging out in the next room over, through a clouded glass mirror opposite to the entrance. Through the glass, Ja'Kle could see that the floor was greener. Deciding that he should at least get to meet and get to know Mason's sister, he decided to venture that way.

Ja'Kle padded his way through the glass door, letting it open. He stepped lightly onto the floor of the room, finding that it was grassy and earthy. There three, actually four, entities in the room all glanced at him. Hannah smiled wildly, flinging a piece of what seemed to be toasted bread in the air, "Ja'Kle!" She yelled, rushing towards him.

Cotton stood up, his tail swishing a single time in the air. He might trust Ja'Kle, due to him being the mate of Mason, but there was still a hint of distrust between them, even with what had happened. It was just his nature, he was designed to protect Hannah until she grew old enough to fight well. Or, at least, until she could fight.

Marissa stood up as well, right after Hannah had tossed her bread, and had caught it using her powers. She sat the piece of toast down gently, though she seemed more than a little sad at this point. Her normally straight whiskers were droopy, and her ears were flat against her skull.

"How's Mason!? And why did Axel tell us to come here?" She asked him, looking up his leg at both of his eyes, technically only two of them. She tugged at his pants, which were made out of some black, silky substance. They were given to him by Scion once they had landed, and they were quite comfy to take a nap in.