Chapter Eighty-Three

Chapter Eighty-Three: A Chance

Mason was cheerful that "morning" aboard the Divine Intervention. For rather obvious reasons, of course. Reasons that, after just a few steps outside his room in the early hours, his partner was still asleep, he had noticed that everyone else had noticed.

He was given those knowing looks by all when he entered the cafeteria that early morning. More than ninety percent of the protogen therein were already either plastered or just unconscious, either from sleep or blacked out. Nevertheless, those awake noticed and congratulated him on his "victory".

None of them asked him "how was it?" or if Mason had a good time, but they supposed that Mason's very obvious limp and the fact that the rabbit had a constant smile upon his face that he did, in fact, have a very good time. Mason was glad that they didn't ask, he was embarrassed enough about having to limp his way downstairs after that.

His thoughts were more than a little frayed. He had enjoyed it, a lot actually. Again, he thought that he would feel a bit... icky, for lack of a better word, about himself. Or that it wouldn't be for him, or some other thing that made him regret it. But, as Mason asked for a drink from an even more plastered Lunch-Rush, he realized he regretted nothing.

Well, he regretted nothing except not going another round or two. Possibly three.

"Captain..." Burped out a tired Bailout, who was one of the few remaining awake. Mason turned, squinting as he sat down, his tender behind causing some mild discomfort even on the ultra comfortable bar stools that were attached to the bar itself, "How are you?" He asked, his voice a low whisper. He seemed somewhat lost. He might've had a bit too much to drink, though not enough to destroy his cognitive function for the time.

"I'm good." Mason smiled, his sore fingers tightening around the glass, trembling ever so softly as he brought the liquid to his lips, his parched throat appreciating the coldness easing it's soreness, "I uh... I had a good time." Mason continued, and Bailout snorted, groaning as he got up from his slumped over position, stretching his arms out wide in an attempt to stretch his nearly atrophied muscles.

"So we heard." The protogen responded in kind, his eyes flicking to a wink before a small curious pixelated smile appeared upon the visor, "You really like him, huh?" He asked, and Mason nodded. Bailout gave a curious chuckle, "Well, I'm glad you do, and that you had a good time. All of that, yeah..." Bailout responded, dipping his head down low again before seemingly shaking it off.

After some moments of silence, Mason glanced around. Almost all protogen were accounted for. Renaissance and Gear-Work weren't though, though that was a near given. Bathysphere and Noxious weren't there, but they were most likely doing their own thing together, or each other, it all really depended on how connected they were at this point.

Curiously, the only other protogen that wasn't there was Ruinate. Though, Mason guessed the hard-working scientist was already trying to find a way to pin-point where Divento and Juda had gone. And Mason respected that. He knew he should be focused on the whole threat-to-the-universe deal that had been dealt, but at the current moment... Mason was more than content with just relaxing. He had already had enough stress to last a lifetime.

The rabbit sighed, pressing his palm against the bridge between his muzzle and eyes, grimacing. He was tired, yes, but not from lack of sleep. Not that he had gotten much sleep of course, but still. He was tuckered out. He guessed it was funny: He could fight for hours against hordes of abominations against nature, but just one rough session of "banging" caused him to feel so tired. Then again, he had never been so stretched.

Mason shook his head, sighing. He still remembered how he felt, it was wonderful. And he would do anything to feel that again. He guessed it was about time to actually start worrying about the existential threat to the universe now. He groaned as he got up, surprising Bailout and Lunch-Rush. There was no use, they had to get going. They had their fun, and in Mason's case pleasure, but now they needed to get going. For the sake of everything.