Chapter Eighty-Six

Chapter Eighty-Six: The Trench of Caligaria

What could one say to total and utter destruction? The annihilation of a planet's crust, the utter desecration of a planet's surface. Marrisa had no way to formulate any thoughts related to what she was feeling, gazing down at the ruined landscape, feeling the reality break apart, parts of the sky literally falling to the ground as the reality breaking Boson Energy surged in the very rocks.

Her body was feeling the pull of negative Boson Energy, feeling the excess energy draining into the very air itself, feeling the atmosphere twist and deform as if it were a writhing snake, it's arteries and organs burst and it's eyes and tongue twisted into putrid fleshy lumps. They could hear and feel distant rumbles of explosions and hard screeches come from the massive hole laid within the ground.

Steeling her nerves, Marissa's body ignited in a white flame. She trusted Mason's judgment, more than anyone. He was her friend, and as much as she didn't want to see him hurt, she knew that it was inevitable.Whatever was here, was something big and unknowable. And if Ruinate was right, then they needed to extract the beacon. They were in borrowed time at this point.

And just like that, without any words, without anything, the entire crew of the Divine Intervention leapt forward.

To say what it felt like for all the protogen, plus Ja'kle, Mason and Marissa, to allow their energies to flow was indescribable. Akin to that of the power of a newborn deity, undefined, insurmountable. A crystallization, the edifice of Reality-Warping magic. And it was magic at this point, so connected to science that it was no longer a science Within their hurts, the Boson Energy pumped. Within their soul, the Boson Energy soured and roared to life.

To say that this day was the brightest the planet had ever seen would be the correct statement. Marissa's eyes, accustomed to intense, blinding light, couldn't fathom the amount of light they were subjected to. Like strings wrapping around the eyeball, constricting and writhing, cutting the sclera with the rays of unimaginable light.

Flashes of reality cracking erupted around them, the seams of the universe unwinding. With the already broken world, the intense Boson Energy produced and being produced by Fallout, and all protogen plus the commanders of the Divine Intervention using their powers, the strings that connected each shard or reality were severed.

Marissa could feel the power bloom within her. The roots stemming from her soul, aflame with the boundless energy of White Boson. Her fur shone with an almost divine gleam, the cavern flooded with intense light. They appeared weightless, time slowing down as their lightning crackled against one another, so thick and so many strands that it appeared as a thick webbing between their bodies.

And then, as time slowed to a standstill, as their Boson Energy kept rising and rising, perpetually dragging one another forward. In an instant, reality shattered. Shards of the universe became undone, snapping back as time shifted, unstrung from the matter around them, the planet's place in space becoming warped and hazy.

Marissa felt pangs of fear and dread course through her veins as she felt her power soar even further. The light instantly vanished, drowning the team in an ethereal darkness. The space between the shards and the strings of the universe. The void that filled the space between thoughts and actions flooded through the segmented shards.

She reached her hand out, grasping at the air, but she was only met with nothing. She could feel no air entering her body. She was acutely aware of everything going around her, each individual strand of hair on her body. She felt herself falling. She couldn't escape her mind, she couldn't feel anything. She had to get out, they were screaming for her.

She could feel them. Souls, something, in her mind. She could feel through the cracks, on, through the shattered time and space, she could feel something reaching for her. Her mind shoke, her body stung with thousands of hot strips of rubber dripping and oozing off of her, her skin feeling like it was peeling off.