Chapter Ninety-Nine

Chapter Ninety-Nine: Starting Line

This was their starting line.

The day has come and gone, the last little flicker of sleep fading away as "morning" aboard the Divine Intervention came into effect. And yet, as those morning bells rang, no one awoke. That is not to say, that anyone was still asleep.

Mason pressed his fingers tightly against the captain's seat in the bridge, ears flickering with the slightest noise as the serum running through his veins acted it's course. His purple eyes glowed unnaturally, even more naturally than before. The stripe across his throat burned, but he stayed focused.

Ja'Kle glanced at his love with a worried expression, his heart slighting aching. He wished Mason hadn't gone and asked Gear-Work if anything could be done about his "ineptitude". Maybe it was the right call, Ja'Kle still wished Mason didn't feel the need to ask. And yet, the rabbit did.

There was an odd sense of coming destiny amongst those within the Bridge. Whether it be the finality of what was coming down, whether it be the knowledge of there just being two endings to this whole battle, or just the feeling that this was it. This was the moment they were fighting for. The coordinates written in, tensions palpable and high.

Their destination, as foretold by Ruinate after so many hours of working and heated referencing, was at the very edge of the universe that they could reach. Right at the edge where planets were hundreds of light years apart, where not even solar systems existed. At the very corner, where planets had no names, where stars were not tracked.

That's where the beacons came from, that's where Divento and Juda were at this very moment. Conducting whatever plan they had to destroy the universe, or any other machinations that Divento could think up off. Mason curled his fingers densely against his chair.

They had done barely anything, when they had been thinking they were doing something. They hadn't looked into Green Boson-Energy, or the Multiverse, or tried to expand and better the entire Federation. No, that was what they should've been doing. And they were finally going to start looking into that, but only by the prompting of an existential threat.

The rabbit sneered, sitting back in his chair, "Everyone ready?" He asked, and all nodded around him. Marissa looked sickly, but her determined face showed she was more than prepared to do anything that was needed. Nebula and Aberration were both equally as determined.

Mason's eyes drifted to Ja'Kle as Mason's control over his own body fluctuated, he felt his fingers grow numb as he dented the metallic chair somewhat, his strength already increasing. The Mosomarian looked concerned, and even somewhat frightened for Mason. The rabbit took a deep breath, unclenching his fingers with some difficulty.

Opening his eyes, Mason gave a small smile to his partner, and nodded his head. Ja'Kle gulped silently, his eyes looking deep into Masons, before nodding as well. The Mosomarian turned the chair to view the space before them, and to ready himself for the Fold-Stream.

Mason leaded back and closed his eyes, mental key in mind. He made sure all others were in their proper place before the Fold-Stream, and once they were, Mason opened the lock. The Boson-Generators kicked into overdrive, as they had been upgraded as well, and Mason felt the ship kick forward, before entering the Fold-Stream.

That familiar feeling rushed over Mason, and the rabbit stared forward with stern ferocity. This would be the longest Fold-Stream that the Divine Intervention had ever gone on, but it was going to be well worth it.

All they had to do was fight.

******

The Nameless Planet.

An aching feeling filled their bodies as the Divine Intervention groaned out of the Fold-Stream, rocking into corporeal space before the planet inscribed within the Beacon they had recovered. The Nameless planet ahead of the, dark gray against the colorless darkness of the corner of the universe.

There was an atrocious aura around it. Even greater than a God's powerful whispering, no, this aura was even more ancient, more mythic in nature. Mason stood on wobbly legs, the system within his veins enhancing his strength so he could walk, drawing in ambient energy as well.

The Boson-Generators on the ship, even with their upgrades, were on their last legs. They couldn't Fold-Stream, it was effectively fried and destroyed. But that wasn't an issue, it wasn't like they were planning on running away.

Mason walked to the glass that surrounded the Bridge, and grimaced as he pressed his hand gently against it. Down there was Divento, was Juda, and was probably a host of other Gods and Goddesses and Deities. And down there was whatever Divento was planning. Down there was their goal to destroy.

"Let's go." Mason commanded blankly, swiftly turning his heel to the planet, paws slamming down against the floor as he started in a run. Ja'Kle was the first to follow, hobbling along as his body was still trying to recover from the Fold-Stream. He did manifest a razor for Marissa, who had a full mane of hair, once more.

Their plan was simple, if deadly. Before they entered the Fold-Stream, they sent a message to Axel and Scion asking for them to quickly gather all resources and rush to the coordinates to The Nameless Planet. If anything this was in the thought that their ship would be destroyed.

Next, after the Fold-Stream, they'd take pods down to the planet. They did not doubt that Divento had Air defenses, but then again he might not. He probably didn't expect them to find the planet at all. Nevertheless, Mason and Ja'Kles pod, along with Fallout and Marrisa, would all be going last just in case.

They would be taking all the armor and all the weapons they could carry. Ja'Kle created the gleaming absent armor for them all, and Viscera shared their hoard of weapons. It was more of a formality, all of their powers were more powerful than any weapon, or they thought, but it could help.

And they took the last of the Overclock Serum that hadn't been used and had been left on the ship, the one that Masons saved. It was just a little bit, but Mason shared it between the most powerful Protogens.

It would be a bloody and deadly battle, but with everything set in place, it was time to finally finish this.

[End Arc/3]

________________________________________________________________________________

Howdy!

So... heading into arc four, the final act! And the start of that arc is chapter a hundred, god this is a lot of chapters, haha.

But I'm back! Once more! Sincere apologies, I hope y'all are still enjoying this story, good grief. Thank you all who are still reading, really. Thank you!

I hope you enjoyed, apologies for the long wait. Next chapter coming soon!

~ Candle

3/8/2022