Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five: Just a little more

"What happened?" Mason yelled to his Protogens as he rushed towards them, his eyes trained on Hannah and Ja'Kle, taking note that he couldn't see a full eight protogen down there. Marissa quickly followed up behind him, wearing a similar expression.

"Pattern-Screamers." Rip-Cord explained, his visor displaying a deathly serious expression, "Incredibly powerful ones. Fallout managed to obliterate some with his Boundless Detonation, but a lot survived. We need to get the Hell out of here."

While Marissa took in the information, Mason rushed to his sister. He gently held her in his arms, Cotton having transported her over to him. He pressed her head against his shoulder, gently rocking her back and forth while petting her back. She was utterly and completely terrorized.

"Right... Right... Is there a safe space to call down the Pods?" Mason asked no one in particular. Bailout meandered forward, sighing.

"With the Pattern-Screamers here, there isn't enough space. And even if we do clear some space, most of us probably wouldn't make it to the ship. That's including The Council. And I doubt you would want to leave them." Bailout told him, his ear flicking towards the door.

Marissa shook her head, her hands taking on an ethereally light glow, her eyes flickering a golden color, "So, what you're saying is that we need to clear enough to create a space so we can call down the pods to get out of here? How tough are they?" She asked.

"Extraordinarily. They toughed out an explosion that literally stretched space-time on this planet. Most of them, anyways." Bailout continued, clattering his claws against his chest in indecisiveness.

Mason sighed, glancing at Ja'Kle. He felt immense pride and shame. Pride in Ja'Kle, for defending his sister and himself, but shame in himself for not being there for the both of them. Shame for not being there for...

Mason shakily sighed, gripping his hands tightly. He would never not be there again for them. For either of them.

Mason turned to the councilmen, bloody purple eyes staring blankly at the terrified officials, "Come on. We need to get you all out of here. If any of you die... That will destabilize the Federation. Leave open chances for other governments to attack." Mason looked at each face.

Major Druj appeared just as terrified, but attempted to not outwardly show it. He approached the two, not with arrogance or confidence, but a truly sorrowful look of realization, "There... There is a spot at my bank, the one near the Occult Center Inc. building. It's thirteen thousand meters of unfettered space. That should have enough area for all the pods."

Mason glanced at Marissa, who knew more about this and the area around them better than anyone, "Unless you want to terraform the planet, it's the best shot." Mason nodded, turning to his protogen with a fierce look of determination.

"Aberration, recreate that carrier bag for me. It'd be better for everyone to not have to carry my sister, or Ja'Kle. As good as I am, I am not enhanced." Aberration nodded, his visor turning a soft blue, before a small, Hannah-shaped carrier bag appeared on the ground.

"I could-" Marissa was about to say, but she quieted down with a look of seriousness from Mason.

"No. You are one of, if not the, strongest Boson users here. You have full access to White Boson Energy, even if it shortens your lifespan. We need, I repeat, need to get out of here. Carrying either of these too will not be good." He told her, gesturing for Hannah to get into the bag, which had small holes for breathing and straps for stabilization, along with a pillowy inside.

Marissa sighed, but she couldn't disagree.

After getting strapped in, Mason called for everyone to lead. Druj stayed close beside him, a perplexing state of constant fear and paranoia appearing evident on the Protogens visor. Mason scoffed at him.