Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirty-Two: A Brief Reprieve

"Thank you..." Mason muttered as he snuggled close to Ja'Kle, their bodies warm against the purple sheets of the bed. Ja'Kle nodded against the rabbit's head, Mason smashing his face against his fluff.

The bed was stuffy and far too warm, but neither cared much for the heat. Mason needed to feel it, he needed to be close to Ja'Kle, or else he feared he would collapse once again. It had been so long since he had held that piece of B-64, and it had also been so long since he had been held.

Mason's purple eyes traced the veins against his Mosomarian's neck as he allowed his mind to wander. He needed comfort, that was a given, but he needed the warmth as well. It helped remind him of the tragedy that took place.

And although that might seem like a bad thing, Mason was more than ready now to face his fears about the past. With Ja'Kle at his side, nearly asleep and hugging him tight, he was ready to face his demons that had been buried for so long.

Mason trembled as he felt another rise in his body, coughing out a muted whimper. Ja'Kle tensed his arms and his shoulders, his wings writhing against the blankets as he hugged the rabbit tighter. Mason had been going on like this for the better part of the last hour and a half, with no end in sight.

But, Ja'Kle didn't care. He was going to be there for Mason as he had vowed. He hated seeing Mason that distressed, that depressed and in turmoil. There was no singular way that Ja'Kle would ever leave the rabbit's side, not for anything in the universe.

Mason had been having several attacks the last hour. From being completely fine and even wanting to move, to clinging onto Ja'Kle as he dealt with his emotions head on. It was hard for both of them, but their combined willpower would overpower anything that could happen.

As Ja'Kle laid there, his body slowly going numb before being awoken by Mason, his mind wandered too. He wondered how B-64 was in life, how he interacted with Mason, how he talked without speaking. There were so many questions that Ja'Kle wanted to ask, but couldn't, less he triggered an even bigger episode.

Ja'Kle respected Mason for tackling this. He hadn't exactly been a psychologist in his old life, but he doubted that this would be easy for Mason. He mentally kicked himself every time he felt impatient, and every time he felt that Mason should be done with it.

There was no time limit for healing, there was no timer on how long the side effects of grief could last. He could only be there to support Mason and hope that with support, Mason would reach the point in healing where he would be fine, at least for some time.

Ja'Kle stared up at the ceiling, starting to count each individual tile as he waited, Mason's breathing easing up beside him, before plateauing out. Ja'Kle gave a tired grin, hearing the rabbit's breathing even out.

He was asleep.

Ja'Kle turned to his side, allowing him to fully envelope the fierce captain in a hug, as he couldn't while Mason was awake due to the way he was clinging onto him. He made sure to slowly shift onto his side and hips in order to not awaken Mason.

Ja'Kle silently stared at Mason's sleeping figure, transfixed by how the other breathed so easily. As sporadic as he had been the last hour, his breathing was hard and fast, almost like he was constantly running. To switch so substantially in such a short amount of time was staggering.

Mason's face was cute, peaceful and quiet in his rest. His ears laid against the plaid purple pillows, the soft fur against his cheeks and head puffing up and down with every intake and outbreak of breath.

The shining bright green mark around his neck was barely noticeable, as although Mason was taller than Ja'Kle by quite a bit, he had curled up into a small ball, tucking his paws up against his hips while clinging onto Ja'Kle to allow space for his head to lay against the other's floof.