Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty: Teach Me

"So, I'm thinking about making a special move for myself." Rallycry mentioned to Mason as the two circled one another, their hands at the ready to grab their respective weapons. Mason hummed in response, his eyes trained on the purple creation before him.

"I'm thinking something like-" Rallycry suddenly lunged forward, brandishing his claws and closing the distance to come for a swipe. Mason pushed hard against the cold unfeeling floor, dodging the swipe with grace.

"-like Terminal Velocity. I think that'd be a cool name." The purple protogen continued, brushing his claws against his body. His claws soon began to glow faintly, and his body accelerated in speed, directed towards Mason like a battering ram.

Mason threw himself out of the way, rolling against his shoulder before landing on his paws. He drew his sickle, holding it tenderly as he got used to it's added weight. Rallycry stopped short of the arena's circle, sighing.

"Look, captain, I'm just trying to have a conversation. I barely have a chance at winning a spar." Rallycry admitted, pressing his claw-thumbs against the heel of his pistols, "Tis a shame I can't use my babies." He sighed.

"Rally, you don't need guns to win. Come on." Mason teased him, though his voice contained close to no emotion. He felt better after spending an hour or so running and dodging through his Protogens attacks, but he wasn't exactly better in his mind.

Rallycry sighed, before activating his power and rushing towards Mason. He took a swipe, clipping Mason on his thick leather pad against his stomach. Mason still felt the sting of the impact as he was thrown back.

"Oh come on, you gave me that hit!" Rallycry complained, though his visor split open into a rather content smile. Mason winced as he got back onto his paws, but brandished his sickle all the same.

Right as he felt the energy rise in the room, Mason began to strike. He pushed off the ground towards Rallycry, who was more than surprised at not having a still target anymore. Mason swished his sickle in the air, ready for the inevitable.

And it came. Almost faster than the blink of an eye, the purple protogen came rushing towards him, hardened claws ready to strike at a semi-lethal spot. Mason started to drop to the floor the second he felt the energy rise, letting him go under the strike by the time that Rallycry reached him

Mason pushed his arm out as soon as he could, but it only barely clipped Rallycry's armored thighs before the protogen rushed past him. But the brisk of air actually stung pretty bad, so much so that Mason placed his hand up against his cheek.

However, that type of speed came at a cost. Mason could only guess it was the Protogens attempt at a special move. It wouldn't do much good. Moving faster than laser shots wouldn't exactly give the man an advantage, as he used guns.

In fact, Rallycry had just about used his entire store of Boson Energy in that last speedy attack. Granted, it made him go so fast that Mason had to drop to the ground a full second in advance, and Rallycry still nearly did some serious damage.

Mason sheathed his curved blade against his sparing belt, quickly turning to help Rallycry up. He had run so fast that he crashed against the barrier that shielded the outside area from the arena's attacks.

"Dammit. Why can't I think of a name for that." Rallycry complained as he was helped up, brushing an amethyst hand against his visor, as if he were wiping off sweat. He winced slightly as he got up, his left leg having been sliced open by a rock.

Mason, after helping Rallycry get up, pressed his hand up against the force field barrier around the arena, and pressed lightly with his palm. The force field dissipated into the air, as if it were a bubble and it had been popped.