Chapter Three

Chapter Three: The Backbone

The dark bleakness of the world was quite apparent as Mason and the other two explored the remains, Mason pursing his lips as the air reeked of death. Hoping that Divine Intervention had already touched down by the time they finished.

They couldn't find anything, though. No signs of life, pattern or otherwise. Mason called for the other two as he stepped outside the rubble space-thruster, exiting out into the black barren wasteland.

The building they had entered was much akin to that of a supermall, but even more grandeur in apparent design. The flooring was supposed to be tiled, the walls marble. The ceiling was made out of reinforced crystal, allowing light to refract inside.

Mason wondered briefly as to why a space-thruster, something that, in a pinch, would send up the remaining survivors up into space and transport them to the nearest Backbone planet, would have such fantastical displays of wealth.

But then, he thought about it. The Mosomarians were a moth-type race. They were attracted to light, and shining things. It made some sense, he guessed, but it wasn't concrete. Even still, he wanted answers for everything else.

__

"Find anything?" Renaissance asked Mason as the ship finally touched down, walking down the ramp that just stuck out from the ship. The protogen seemed a little different, now completely ruby red.

Mason shook his head, "No. Unfortunately, we didn't find anything. Make sure that Cardinal, Retaliate, and Arctic are all prepared though. We'll leave them here for the time being. We need to get to Backbone."

Renaissance nodded his head, quickly bringing a claw up to his insignia by his visor to contact those inside the ship. Mason quickly passed him, closely followed by Bailout and Rip-Cord. Mason thought about asking both to go, but he decided against it. The expedition crew were well enough versed.

Mason soon entered the main high-way through the ship, shuffling to the side as the crew began to disembark for the planet. The blood red Cardinal, the black and gray Retaliate, and Fallout. They all nodded and smiled at Mason, who nodded back.

They'd be gone for at least five hours, as taking two Fold-Streams in a relatively short time was not all that good on the ship's structure. It'd need about three hours to even start recuperating enough to get back.

Mason didn't worry though. They were trained for this, and it wasn't like they were defenseless. They were well-rounded, Mason made sure of that.

Mason dismissed his two guardians as he walked closer to the deck, and both ventured to the left and to where the cafeteria was. Mason continued on his way, opening the main door into the captain's deck.

"Captain!" Both Protogens instantly shot up, saluting him. Mason waved his arm, shuffling to his chair. He heaved himself upon it's silky smooth cushions, resting his arms against the gray arm rest. He tapped a button on the screen on his left arm rest, and a holographic computer appeared before his eyes.

"Nebula, is the ship ready for another Fold-Stream?" Mason asked as he observed the holographic screen before him. Everything appeared fine, though their generators did take a beating. They'd need to go and collect parts in the coming weeks, otherwise they'd be stranded.

The purple protogen sat up, their visor displaying something akin to pursing her lips, "It appears, captain. However, due to it being so soon since the last jump, the engines might need replacing in our next stop."

Mason nodded his head, purple eyes glancing through the light hologram and straight at Nebula, "That's fine. I'll pay for the restoration, just make sure we get close enough to Backbone..." Mason squinted his eyes at the screen"- Backbone-11. We need to get down as fast as possible."