Chapter Thirty-Three

Chapter Thirty-Three: But that's just a theory! A...

"Ruinate, tell me, any new news?" Mason's voice rang throughout the dim lab, course and tired. Mason's purple eyes shifted through the hazy fog that pervaded the lab, smoke produced by Ruinate's experiments.

Mason's eyes finally found Ruinate towards the end of the lab, near the Eon-Gate. The dark gray protogen turned his head towards Mason, his visor displaying an excited, and yet tired, face. The protogen started towards Mason as he began to talk.

"Captain, good to see that you're feeling better. We've received numerous new posts and reports. The nearest planet, Corentha-5, has called for backup on a Pattern-Screamer infestation." The scientist relayed, plucking off thick rubber gloves from his three-clawed hands.

Mason looked down, a yawn slowly making it's way out of his mouth. Mason shook his head, dust falling off of his fur by the action. Ruinate's visor curved open with a smile, assuming the worst. Or, in this case, the best for his captain.

"I see that you've been, er, sleeping with Mr. Ja'Kle, Captain sir." Ruinate told him, giving him a coy expression. Mason rolled his eyes, though he didn't move to rid himself of most of the dust on his neck and cheeks.

"Anyways, you said that the planet wanted backup, right?" Mason asked, and Ruinate returned to his normal stoic self. The protogen nodded, swiftly turning around and rushing towards his monitor. A holographic keyboard appeared underneath his claws, and he began to type a few phrases in Protogenic.

"Yes. Corentha-5 is a water planet. It appears that there are no Pattern-Screamers, mutated or not, that do particularly well in water. Plus, the Pattern-Screamers with any heat related ability are effectively neutralized, as the planet maintains a constant 23 degrees above the water, and bone-chilling negative forty underneath. It is unknown how the water at the top maintains this temperature without freezing." Ruinate exposited, reading off of Gala-Kik.

Which, effectively, was the space-age version of Wikipedia. It even had a planet with a ring as it's logo.

"That's good. How long can they withstand the invasion?" Mason asked, quickly moving to his scientists side. Ruinate moved to the right to allow Mason to glance at the monitor as he answered, the screens light almost paralyzingly bright in the dim lab.

"While the Screamers took most of their hunting grounds, they saved enough food and livestock for a month-long siege, as there are only three major cities, and they all evacuated, food and all, to the largest city." Ruinate explained, quickly adding, "Which they could do due to having the technology to detect the Beacon coming towards them.

Mason frowned as he sighed, leaning against the sterile desk that the monitor sat upon, "See, there it is again. The Beacon stuff. If a literal water planet can detect a Beacon landing, then why couldn't Gold-Standard-1, the meeting place of the freaking Council?" Mason asked, and Ruinate held a clawed finger up in the air.

"Ahah, see, you were on the money right there. I took the liberty of grabbing all the blood, all the samples, and even some tissue, from the mutated Screamers. Along with Druj's testimony, and the samples that me and the late Asha went through. I discovered a few things."

"See, the Pattern-Screamers do, indeed, originate on Caligaria, as I have said before. And, they also have originated through Boson Energy, as I've already told you. However, what is strange is the fact that there was no Beacon on Gold-Standard."

Mason raised his eyebrows, his shining purple eyes wide, "How do you know that?" He asked the scientist. Ruinate turned his attention to his keyboard, and after a few seconds of typing, brought up another screen.