Chapter Sixty-Three

Chapter Sixty-Three: Unholy Screeches

The empty spatial void sat in front of them, the highway cloaked in the cover of darkness, only penetrated by the occasional spark of a dysfunctional light bulb. A nasty, decomposing smell perforated the darkness, causing all invaders to retch as the door was spiraled open by Rip-Cord, using his rotational power to good use.

A wicked haze distorted even the brightest light. Even Cardinal's beams couldn't confund the darkness. Cardinal hissed with displeasure, embarrassed that her one purpose, her one power, was utterly useless in the void. Render wasn't able to supply much backup, given the fact that the Highway was usually well lit and airy.

Mason strutted towards the darkness without fear, ignoring the stench with his drive to find and capture Juda. The more time they spent securing the universes' future, the more time the malevolent divine beings wreaked havoc on the world and against synths and protogen alike. Get in, capture Juda, and finish off the bad Gods.

"Everyone, stay close." Mason reported back, the green stripe against his neck starting to glow as the Boson Energy stirred around them. It made Mason's hairs stand on end, with just how prepared his squadron was to fight, already on the brink of activating their abilities.

Cardinal was in the back, both knives twisted around. Rip-Cord was beside her, his shield enlarged to cover most of his back, his claws at the ready to pierce. Bailout and Freefall were in the front, with both having the ability to freeze their advisories in different ways. Mason was behind them, with his boyfriend and Render behind him.

Mason's purple eyes glowed in the darkness, as did his Protogens insignias, all with a burning bright light custom to their fur color, courtesy of The Forge. Even that didn't do much, but it allowed the concrete floor upon which their paws stepped on to be seen. Not much else could be seen in the malign darkness, but still.

Mason's ears twitched with every single pawstep, curiously aware of everyone's presence. His breath slowly grew icy cold, hanging in the air as they slowly cooled. Ja'Kle was the last to notice, his naturally thick fur and neck fluff keeping him marginally warm. As soon as he noticed that, and noticed that everyone was feeling cold, he pressed his hands together.

Using those written over insignia's as a catalyst, Ja'Kle spread his influence through those little spots of void 'ink'. With a little concentration, those spots began to grow and grow without disturbing the protogen they were attached to. Most only noticed it once they realized they no longer grew cold, and found that they were now wearing a rather nice looking jacket.

All except Render, as he both looked like the type to reject anything covering his rather curvy body, and the fact that he wasn't even shivering. It seemed that the cold hardly affected him. It affected everyone else though, so Ja'Kle made sure everyone was nice and warm.

"How long is the highway?" Mason asked as they continued walking, his ears backed down flat against the backside of his neck. His green stripe was instantly noticeable now, glowing without producing any light due to the inordinate amounts of Boson Energy generated in that small, condensed area.

Render's angled smile shifted into a wavy frown, "Very long. Traditionally, there is a kart that goes across the highway at high speeds... But, given that there is no power, and the fact that we can't see more than a few inches in front of us, driving right now is not the smartest of moves. Especially since those.... Things... are here." Render responded, that last bit reminiscing of the Silent-Screamers.

"Ahh." Mason responded, clenching fist against his sickle so hard that his knuckle grew white through the fur, although it wasn't like anyone could see it. The air kept on growing colder, but feeling the void against his body was more than enough to keep him warm. It had an oddly warm feeling one. Mason guessed that Ja'Kle could control that aspect of it now.