Chapter Thirty-Eight

Chapter Thirty-Eight: Are You Sure

Partial Lewdity Warning: For those that read in public

"You met a... a Goddess?"

Mason sighed, turning his eyes towards the Mosomarian in question. He was currently having the water suit stripped from him by Bailout and Rip-Cord, who were both complaining that they weren't able to go with him, and that they actually really wanted to meet this Goddess.

"Yes, Ja'Kle, I did. What good it did, I don't know..." Mason replied, his eyes bloodshot as he attempted to regain some sense of normalcy. Things happened so fast after his conversation with the Goddess that he barely had time to recollect his thoughts. If that.

After the eldritch horror had returned itself to the watery depths of the inner planet, Mason and Bathysphere had spent an entire ten minutes just trying to wrap their hands around the sheer size and power of the Goddess, and what that could mean for their mission.

Mason sighed as the suit was completely stripped from him now. He stepped out of the flipper 'shoes' attached to his paws, shaking his numb leg off. They had spent so much time just attempting to think of the power that the creature held that the Corenthian army had started to awaken from Bathysphere's strike.

Mason shook himself off, all the water clogging his fur dripping off without the tight skin suit holding it in. Mason trekked towards his room, his entire body shivering as the difference between the warm ship and the ice cold ocean was almost audible. And, it was quite audible for Mason, as his teeth clacked together due to his shivering.

At least, that was how it appeared.

"But... wasn't that the entire purpose of your, well, your team?" Ja'Kle asked as he followed Mason, gesturing to the walls around the hallway. Mason nodded, his ears flat against the backside of his neck as he breathed heavily.

It was the purpose. Ever since Mason had seen the Goddess, and the sheer power it contained to instantly evaporate, through heat, absolute zero cold ice the size of a large city, Mason wasn't quite sure on how he could ever hope to capture a God.

Mason pressed his numb hand against the door leading into his room, the door opening almost instantaneously. Mason shuffled into the bedroom, sniffling as the difference between temperatures got just that little more extreme.

"What was it like, then?" Ja'Kle asked after not getting a response back from Mason. The rabbit sighed against the doorway, his hand quivering. Mason walked further inside, bidding Ja'Kle to come and follow him inside.

"It was terrifying in all honesty." Mason explained, "I felt it in my mind. Like the whole mind-link thing I have with my protogen at times, but much, much worse than that. It felt invasive, and it felt... It felt wrong." Mason's voice quivered,  shaking his head with the thought.

"We did gain some new information, but it's... it's biased. The Goddess, Cthulhu or whatever, did say that the Pattern-Screamers were hunting the Gods. It did say in some partiality, though, so I can't say for certain if it's the truth." Mason divulged, hugging himself as he sat upon his bed, dragging the mess of blankets towards him and covering himself in their warmth.

After the Corenthian guard had regained their consciousness, Mason and Bathysphere escorted them back to Rinse, with Bathysphere doing most of the heavy lifting, using the water to pull along the totaled vehicles, and any wounded or injured soldiers.

Mason shivered as he remembered the looks on those army men's faces. Although he hadn't exactly experienced a near-death-experience, he guessed that when Bathysphere slashed reality apart, the guardsmen thought that it was their end. A few of them hadn't expected to 'wake up', to be alive.