Chapter Eighty

Chapter Eighty: What it all means

The coldness of the room, albeit freezing and uninviting, was a welcome commodity to Mason. It was an addition, familiar in its harshness and in its endless pulsing embrace. The rabbit was only soothed by its presence, preferring it over anything else that could have come while he attempted to slumber in the soft confines of his sheets.

His room was distant, but familiar as well. A different layout, altered by Marissa in order to give Mason some form of comfort as he recuperated. The screen that transmissions were displayed on was moved forward. Cabinets and beds and small holders were all around Mason's bed, allowing him easy access to a variety of goods to make his comfort.

Mason had felt the urge to clamber out and be amongst his crew, to try and be the captain he wanted to be - but all of them asked him to simply rest. Ja'Kle was the only soul allowed within his quarters as they drifted through space, most everyone too weak at the moment for the Fold-Stream.

Despite only losing a singular member, the entire ship felt different now. More so than when they lost nearly six times that when leaving Gold-Standard, evaporated by Fallout. Even then, in the heat of the moment, they could have all been mounted properly. And even then, there were not as great of stakes.

Now, with so many members dead, it felt barren and empty. Even Mason could feel the cold sting of death perforate the surroundings, seeping into his room like an enveloping fog of which he could not escape, only hope to cope with. There was this pain in his chest, lingering right above his heart. A hard, rhythmic thump against his very core. Rip-Cord was dead, and he was dead because of Mason.

The rabbit understood he was inside his own head. That there was no way to predict that outcome. Everyone had a very good chance of dying the day prior. And yet, as Mason couldn't sleep, those thoughts invaded his mind. It was like he had escaped everything, but hadn't escaped the sins he hadn't known he was committing.

His eyes felt dreary, tired and uninspired. They felt lifeless, if he was being honest with himself. Drained of their vibrant purple, they were dull. Mason laid for hours, not being able to toss and turn as the pain on his side only increased as the minutes and hours ticked on. Even as Mason tried his best to clear his mind, even as he tried his damndest to stop anything and everything to come crashing down back at him, he couldn't stop it.

Mason had cried so often that he couldn't anymore. He wanted to, he sobbed and wept, but no tears rained down his silky face. His ears had never been lowed against his back, his fur had never sagged as much before, He was never so unaware of his body, and yet so hyper aware that every moment stirred his mind.

And there, in his solitude during the night cycle of the ship, when everything was quiet, when everything was still, did Ja'Kle come to the room. The door opened with a quiet but loud hiss, soft steam emitting from the doorway as the Mosomarian entered, clenching his hands together against his soft chest. Mason looked at his boyfriend, his partner, and sighed with momentary joy.

"Hey... Hey, Mason." Ja'Kle pronounced, an audible gulp between the two "hey"s. The Mosomarian softly shifted forward with a worried expression - he had been the one to try and calm everyone down. He took Mason's role of making sure everything was said and done - proper and in its place - before he visited Mason. He knew the rabbit would prefer that, even if he wanted to do it himself.

"Hello..." Mason coughed weakly. He felt horrible, almost disgusted, at how weak he felt. It was as if everything that had gone on infected his mind. If only he were stronger, if only he were faster, if only he could do at least something.

"How are you, love?" Ja'Kle asked, putting emphasis on the last word. Mason closed his eyes, a soft smile threatening to break from his face. He was doing horrible. He had so many thoughts, so many horrible, wicked things to call himself, and yet, he simply replied with:

"Okay. I'm okay."

Ja'Kle, for his part, could see that his partner was hurting. He could see that his boyfriend was hurting badly once more, "Mason... if you're not okay, please. Tell me. I know I... I sometimes can be a bit much, especially with telling you what to do, but-"