Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen: Of Blood and Dust

"So, you are saying that the Boson from your ships Fold-Drive capability affected its body... so that it might affect traditionally non-affected species?" Asked the doctor before the group, holding up a small tablet.

Mason nodded his head, "Ruinate said something about altering his evolution, or something to that effect. In any case, it was able to incapacitate the pattern-Screamers, and allow them to exist outside suspended animation."

Ja'Kle just stared at the protogen before him. They were rather small in comparison, only about half of Mason's height. He was a sugary brown color, mixed with some light shades of cream white. His visor was black with white highlights.

"I can't say that I've seen this before. I am quite astonished by your lack of safety concerns, since it is not allowed for a non-protogen or non-boson-affected person to be able to access said Fold-Stream." Another voice came from behind the group, near the entrance to the examination room.

Mason turned around, recognizing that voice was coming from the one protogen he had disliked from the start. Major Druj, coming from the Eon-Stars Sector of the universe. Despite his numerous attempts to get into Mason's good books, he never really succeeded.

But Ja'Kle could tell from his attitude that he was 'dissing' Mason in some way. And for a rather obvious reason, that made him quite upset, proning him to greatly dislike the protogen. He was about to come to Mason's defense, when Marissa did.

"Listen here, Major. He's done far more good for the sectors that he's visited than you ever had. Besides, I know for a fact you don't have a case against him." Marissa shot at him, her voice dripping with venom.

The aforementioned protogen was a pale yellow in color, vaguely reminding Ja'Kle of a short trickle of piss. His visor was also a light color, one of light puffy gray. He had a very short tail, one ending in a puff ball.

"Oh, please. I had just come recently from the Stargazer sector. Remind me again what had happened to our dearest Mosomarian's home planet, hmm?" He asked, tilting his head as if he was making a point.

Marissa narrowed her eyes, and was just about to retort, before Ja'Kle of all people defended him, "That's not a fair assumption. There was literally no way for him to get there before the planet was destroyed. Hell, the distress call wasn't even yelled until after we arrived at the Backbone planet."

The pissy protogen manifested eyebrows to raise them, "Oh?  For certain, I guess you could make that a sensible case. But, there are multitudes of others that have... less than fortunate results. At least your population is still somewhat recoverable."

The doctor protogen moved past Mason and Marissa, standing opposite to the Major, "Sir, I respect you as an authority figure, but I plead with you to excuse yourself. There are sensitive and large issues at play here."

The Major sneered down at the protogen, "Please, if anything is dangerous it's our dear commanders lack of a work ethic and production rate. Half of the planet he goes to are deemed unrecoverable, if not for the infestation, then due to the Boson Poisoning."

"That, my good sir, is not a course for discussion at the moment. We are currently examining a Mosomarian's evolution. You may bicker and argue at the Council meeting this coming two days, but not here. Begone from my department." The protogen responded, flicking his claws towards the doorway.

The piss-colored protogen simply waved his hand in the air, moving towards the door and leaving without excusing himself. Mason sighed deeply, bringing his hand up to his forehead. Marissa glanced at the doctor.