Chapter Sixty-Two

Chapter Sixty-Two: Silent-Screamer

Silence did befall the underground as the protruding limb 'scratched' against the concrete walls, it's sharp black claws leaving deep indents in the surface. Through the mist and the light, they couldn't see any of its body. But, the skin seemed to be sagging, and it appeared to have the consistency of rising dough.

Freefall quivered a little as she raised her hand, squinting as she had to use a bit more energy to freeze the Silent-Pattern. Mason felt the air quickly plummet in temperature as the thing was paralyzed. Render behind him appeared perplexed, but not scared. However, Ja'Kle was completely terrified.

"Well, at least we know Juda is here." Mason whispered to the group, chuckling without humor as he held his sickle in front of him. Cardinal brushed past Mason, a determined look in her eyes as light escaped her claws. With a little contortion of her wrist, the light was sent and was bound around the limbs of the creature. Just in case.

"The real question is how in the universe did they get here?" Bailout asked from behind them all, his pixelated eyes squinting as he scanned the thing, "It's barely a Pattern-Screamer anymore. Are you sure that the mirror thing can cause this level of mutation?" Bailout asked, and Mason shrugged.

They reached the creature as Mason responded ,"No, I'm not, but it was just a guess. What's different about this one?" Mason asked, Ja'Kle squeezing his hand like he was being held off of the edge of a cliff. Mason half-hugged Ja'Kle to make him feel better as they all observed the frozen limb clenching ruined concrete.

"It's... I don't have the right instruments to scan. All my advanced scans say is that it's unknown compared to Pattern-Screamers." Bailout responded, allowing his hard-light spear to appear in his grip, "Either way, it shouldn't exist." Bailout muttered, shifting against the concrete.

Mason grimaced as he glanced over the limb. With a grim expression, Mason glanced back towards Render, "What's on the other side of the opening? Another large opening, a door, or another hallway?" Mason asked, and Render answered in full.

"It's one of the major pathways leading into highway into a hub. A large open space, like a lobby. It's usually obscured by the fog for anonymity, not that anyone needs it." Render explained, one of his flying machines detached from his legs and flew up in the air, rendering a small map of the environment.

Mason observed the space. A large rectangular room with three large doors leading into even more pathways. The room itself wasn't strictly massive, but it was still rather large. Mason doubted another Silent-Pattern was in there, considering that no other creature appeared to guard that one, but still.

"Can we kill it?" Freefall asked, detaching the small cube that rested in her right thigh. With a press of a button, the cube unfurled into a dense, cold energy weapon. One of Freefall's predilections, named 'Justice is Cold'. Mason thought for a moment, considering what they could possibly do with the creature, or if they could even evacuate it alive from the hallway.

Mason nodded his head, turning to the light ahead of them, "Cardinal, use your power to create a path. Bailout, Rip-Cord, watch our back." Mason announced, and the three protogen all nodded, "Render, Ja'Kle, come with me and stay close. Freefall, feel free to execute." Mason continued, walking forward behind Cardinal.

Freefall nodded, flicking her first claw against the safety of her energy rifle, and with a steady aim, she felt through the creature's body using her ability. Deactivating and then reactivating certain body parts, she was able to feel where the creature started and where it ended. Aiming through the fog, Freefall breathed, and triggered the weapon.

A blinding dark pulse was sent down the path, and Freefall felt her power immediately stop working on the creature, a sure sign that her shot struck true. She sighed, gripping her weapon to return it to it's cubed nature. Slipping it back into it's space in her mechanical thigh, Freefall hurriedly rushed to the others, who jumped down into the room.