14

TW for the following chapter as Tessa experiences symptoms of miscarriage.

Here are some songs to listen to during this chapter -
- Small bump - Ed Sheeran
- Wasn't expecting that - Jamie Lawson
- You and me - Life house

Tessa
Shit. Hardin is seriously going to lose his shit and I can't do anything about it. I begin to make my way over there but I'm approached by my mother before I can. "Goodbye dear, and again, congratulations. I'm sorry that David and I couldn't stay longer, it's just that we have the two hour drive home and all" my mother wraps her arms around me. I try to listen to what she is saying but I can't seem to take my eyes off the brewing storm that is Hardin. I wave my mother and David off as they leave the premises.

"Father? You're no father of mine!" I hear Hardin grunt from across the room. "If it wasn't for that drunken asshole, I could have been!" Vance snaps back, raising his voice. I take a seat as the pain at the pit of my stomach worsens, it's sharp and starting to take my breath away. I grip the counter in front of me and Karen rushes to my side as she notices the pained look on my face.

"Drunken asshole? tell me why my father became a 'drunken asshole' Christian, tell me!" Hardin's voice cracks. I can't stand to see him this way, it takes me back to twenty years ago when he was angry at the world and everything in it. The expression on Ken's face changes into a deep scowl, his fists clench and he's ready to Charge over there, until his attention is turned to the inhumane sound that escapes my mouth. The pain is now unbearable and I can't prevent the tears that are from rolling from my cheeks. "Tessa, dear, what is it?" He rushes to the other side of me. "It's- somethings wrong" I mutter, clutching my swollen tummy. "Ken, you're the only person who hasn't had a drink, get the car. I'll get Hardin" Karen is frantic.

"No!! Do not get Hardin, please" I beg. He's drunk and I'm furious with him and the last thing I need right now is to fight with him, I'll say something I regret and he'll do something he regrets. Karen gives an understanding nod, prompting her husband to go start the up the car.

My eyes frantically search the room for Nora, she clocks me and rushes over. "Nora, can you please keep an eye Emery and Auden, don't let them see Hardin this way" I try to control my tears. "Of course, but where are you going" the concern in her voice is clear. "Somethings wrong" I mouth the words to her, losing my ability to speak. It appears she has lost hers too. Hardin is still going off, as Karen guides me to driveway, rubbing my back as we walk.

The twenty minute drive to the hospital seems to last for hours. Karen pleads with Ken to put his foot down and he assures her that he's going as fast as he can. "Please be okay" i whisper repeatedly, hoping and praying that the babies and I are going to be okay, for the sake of Hardin and the kids. The only thing that is calming me, is the fact that the cramps have eased and Karen, who has held my hand the entire journey.

We arrive at the hospital. Ken checks me in, and My name is called before I even reach the waiting area. "Honey, do you want me to come in with you?" Karen's voice is small as she places her hand over mine, "please do" I sob as we walk towards the room that the young nurse is calling from.

Hardin

I have scoured this whole damn house looking for Tessa and no fucker seems to know where she is. I know she's probably pissed off with me for turning to drink. Tessa always says that alcohol is the fools anaesthetic and that it puts the primitive self in command, when it is the worst captain of all. She has a point, but where could she possibly be? I need her to know that I'm back, and that I'm sorry. I check each and every one of the bedrooms that she could possibly be hiding in and there's still no sign of her.