132

Tessa

"After everything I've done for that little fucker, he betrays me in a way like this!" my husband huffs as we pull into the driveway of Ken's house. I roll my eyes, for Hardin has been in this foul mood for the entirety of the journey. The flight was a whole experience, we were seated next to an elderly man, who chomped on a family sized bag of Jolly ranchers for the duration. Hardin made multiple comments about how close he was to snatching that candy, and shoving it up the old man's 'arse'.

Hardin is quick to get out of the Uber, and slam the door behind him, like some kind of spoilt child. I thank our driver on behalf of the two of us and contemplate apologising for Hardin's bossy antics, as he retrieves our bags from the trunk, but I decide against it. Ensuring that I have all of my belongings, I climb out of the grey hatchback and follow my stroppy man up the pathway.

"Hardin, promise me that you won't go in there and jump to conclusions. We need to find out what really happened, first!" I plead with him, but the look in his eyes tells me that there's no chance that he'll stay calm. "No Tess, I won't promise" he scoffs. "How is Emery supposed to trust him, living the college life in another state, if he can't even be faithful when they're in the same damn place!" His voice cracks. I guess I didn't think of it that way.

Still, I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for this. I'm not defending Charlie, but I find it extremely hard to believe that he'd do anything to hurt our girl. He loves the bones of her. Plus, Hardin and I are Charlie's actual guardians. Hardin needs to realise that he is much more than our daughters teenaged boyfriend, now.

"We have done so much for that boy, Tessa. So much. And this is how he repays us" he repeats. This man sounds like a broken record. "You keep saying that. You keep saying that he's betrayed you. But this isn't about you. It's about our daughter!" I correct him, raising my voice slightly. I wish he flew out here with the intention of being here for our daughter, but he didn't. He flew out here with the intention of causing a riot.

"That's just it, Tess. If You hurt my babies, you're hurting me. So yes, he has betrayed me" Hardin huffs. Why does all of this have to be so dramatic?! I take a deep breath as we approach the doorstep, preparing myself for the whirlwind that is to come. Hardin tries the door, but his frustration grows when he realises that it's locked. I reach my hand up to ring the delicate little doorbell, when Hardin decides to go for a less peaceful route. "Hardin, that's enough!" I scold him when he pounds on the door, ridiculously loud. Great, his knuckles are bleeding before he's even got his hands on Charlie.

I don't know who I was expecting to answer the door, but it definitely wasn't Addelyn. Baby Ava is on her hip and I gasp at how much she has grown in the months we've been apart. She's utterly beautiful, to say the least and I feel guilty for not being able to pay her the attention she deserves at this moment.

"Uncle Hardin, Aunt Tessa?!" Addy's voice is shaky as she sets eye on us. "Where are they?!" Hardin completely disregards our niece, barging past her and into his fathers home. He thrashes out of his leather jacket, revealing his muscly, tattooed arms and throws it over the bannister on the way in.

"Emery!" He roars, his voice echoing through the halls. My reaction is delayed, as I'm still at the doorstep, while Hardin is storming through the halls, all guns blazing. "You had better come in" Addy mutters, I gulp as I follow her inside.

"You had better show your face, Charlie!" Hardin yells, once again. "They're not here!" Addy's voice is small. I'm taken back when she places Ava into my arms, to catch up with that raging husband of mine. "What do you mean, they're not here!" He stutters. I'm wondering the same, but my attention is focused on the gorgeous baby girl that is clinging onto me. He's right though, if Charlie and Emery aren't here, then where are they?