28

Hardin

"So, you mean to tell me .. that when we slice open this cake.. it will reveal the sex of our babies?" My confusion is growing by the second. "Well it isn't some magical cake that will talk to you and say it's going to be a __ if that's what you mean" My sister in law chuckles. "Besides.. slice it open? It isn't having surgery Hardin" she continues to ridicule me.

"You will cut the cake and inside there will be two layers. If both layers are pink then you're having two baby girls, if both layers are blue, then you're having twin boys. If one layer is pink and one is blue-" she rambles. "Alright Nora, I bloody get it" I laugh. "Thankyou for making this cake for us, Tessa is going to love it" I place a hand on her shoulder. "I can't believe that you know what we're having and we don't" It's taking everything for me to not pressure her into telling me.

We had our gender reveal scan this morning, but rather than find out there and then, I decided that I wanted to do something special so I can see Tessa's eyes light up. I requested for the babies gender to be written down and placed into an envelope. I took it straight to Landon's and Nora's place and Nora got straight to work. Nora's cakes are to die for and Tessa loves cake, so when she suggested we reveal the gender through a cake, I thought it was a genius idea.

I couldn't think of a better way to reveal the gender of our little peaches, though we're only having a small gathering. We invited Landon, Nora and Addy but my father, Karen and Abby are in town for a couple of days and Tessa doesn't know that yet so she'll be delighted to see them.

"Well you'll know soon enough! I'll see you at noon when all will be revealed" my sister in law smiles as she heads down the garden path. I wave her off before closing the door and heading to the kitchen, where I place the cake on the counter.

Tessa is now sixteen weeks and is starting to feel the effects of being pregnant with twins. She's been lucky so far to not have many symptoms, but heartburn has suddenly entered the building and I really feel for her. God, women are strong. She's currently upstairs taking a nap, giving the children and I the perfect amount of time to decorate the sitting room with pink and blue balloons and shit. I give up when Emery scolds me, because one of the balloons is too far to the right. That girl is the definition of perfectionist, just like her mother.

The kids eventually finish decorating the room and I praise them for their efforts. I have to give it to them, it looks pretty neat. The pink and blue balloons rest upon the ceiling and below them are some large, light up building blocks that read 'ABC'.
"Your mom is going to love it!" I tell my children. "But one of the balloons is a little bigger than the rest" I tease my eldest offspring. "Oh Ha Ha, very funny dad" she chuckles as Auden and I continue to tease her.

I hear the pitter patter of our loveable pooch entering the room and I have no words as I take in his appearance. "What have you done to Louie?" My eyes widen but I can't stop myself from laughing as I notice the pink and blue bows on top of his head. "It's cute!" Emery snaps. "You do know when I said decorate the room, I didn't mean decorate the dog aswell!" I snigger.

"What is so funny?" My beautiful wife enters the room. Wow, she looks as radiant as ever for someone who's just woke up. She is all dolled up, ready for the gender reveal and she looks like the most beautiful mommy ever. She's wearing a baby pink summer dress that has a tie around the waist, the sleeves are short and frilly. Her makeup is natural and her hair is curled, she looks phenomenal. "Wow, you look unreal baby" i compliment. She thanks me silently as she takes in her surroundings.