53

Tessa

"Right birthday girl, it's about time that you went to bed. The birthday bunny won't come if you stay up late" Hardin teases our daughter. "Birthday bunny? Really Dad? you're so lame" she rolls her eyes, trying to stifle the giggle that is desperate to escape. "No but for real baby, your mother and I have a lot to do and it's getting late so with all due respect, fuck off upstairs and don't come back down until the morning" Hardin bluntly mutters and I gasp in shock at his words. "Hardin!" I scold him by squatting his chest. "I'm only teasing" he adds while laughing at his own antics. Men, huh. He's right though, it's technically Emery's birthday as it's past twelve o clock and we still need to decorate the house.

"Goodnight daddy" Emery charms while sauntering over to hug her father. He places a kiss into her forehead and my heart melts at the sentiment. "Goodnight mom" she repeats the process with me and I squeeze her a little tighter than usual as I realise that my baby is growing up. Don't get emotional Tessa, pull yourself together woman, my subconscious chimes. I take a deep breath as i watch my baby retreat to her room, her face full of smiles.

"Tomorrow might be Emery's birthday, but do you know what else tomorrow marks?" My husband places himself behind me, holding his hands over my tummy and pulling me into him. "No.. what?" I grow confused. "Tomorrow marks one month since you gave birth to our little Twinnies" he informs me and I let out a loud gasp as I realise that he's right. Time has gone so quickly and a lot has happened in such a short space of time, that I didn't even realise. "What a day that was" I smirk and Hardin does this adorable little laugh. "It was bloody traumatic, but it was up there with one of the best days of my life" his voice is soft as he places a kiss onto my cheek.

We pad over to check on the twins who are sound asleep in their bassinets. Miller is making the sweetest sound in his sleep and it makes my heart melt. I hold his little hand and my heart bursts a little more, when he wraps his tiny little hand around my finger. "I just want them to stay this small forever" my bottom lip wobbles.

"Me too baby, but let's live in the moment and cherish it, because before we know it, they'll be turning sixteen one day too" Hardin's voice breaks and I fan my eyes to prevent unnecessary tears. We are interrupted by the sound of footsteps entering the room. Hardin is preparing to shoe Emery back up the stairs until he realises that it is in-fact Charlie, not our daughter.

"Do you think she knows that I'm here?" The blonde haired boy whispers. Hardin collected Charlie from his Aunt's house earlier today and he has been trying to keep a low profile from Emery since he got here.
It took a lot of persuading, but Hardin and I agreed that Charlie could stay over at our place for a few days, to surprise Emery on her birthday. He's sleeping in one of the spare rooms of course.

His parents arrive home from vacation in a couple of days so rather than go back and forth from here to his Aunt's house, it made more sense for him to stay here with us. "Fuck, fine. He can stay. But he goes nowhere near Emery's room and I'll be watching them with night vision goggles at all times" I smirk as I recall Hardin's reaction to my suggestion. That's not creepy at all love.

"No, she has no bloody idea that you're here, but if you keep sneaking around like this then she's bound to see you" Hardin scoffs. He's gone from being Mr Happy to The Grinch within seconds. "Oh shut up Hardin, it's not the FBI honey. Ignore him Charlie" I smirk, as does Charlie.

"I actually came down here to help you get the house ready for tomorrow" he chimes and my smile grows at his kind gesture. "Aw thank you sweetheart. You can start by blowing up these balloons. You have better lungs than me and smoky smokerson over here" I tell him while handing over a packet of transparent balloons with rose gold confetti inside or them. "Hey, I don't bloody smoke, cheeky" Hardin Huffs under his breath. Does this man think I was born yesterday? "Hmmm debatable" I mock.