Back on the Grind

Desire

I was downstairs making breakfast while August was getting lil man ready. I had just fixed August plate filled with eggs, waffles and sausage links with buttered toast on the side, when I heard Day giggling like always.

"Mommy!" He squirmed in August arms and he let him down. He ran over to me and I picked him up kissing his cheeks.

"Morning baby! Are you hungry?"

He nodded and August came up and kissed my cheek.

"Morning sweetheart."

"Morning babe. Have a seat and I will bring you your plate."

"Thanks." He took Day outta my arms and they went to the table.

"You ready to get back to work?" August asked as I sat his plate and juice down.

"Yeah I am. I miss my students especially Drew and Kylie." I smiled and ruffled Day's curls as I sat his lil plate in front of him.

"Drew and Kylie are somethin' else. They are like tha' teenage version of what I thank we woulda been like." He smiled as he cut his waffles.

"You think so? Well, I know its something up with them cause they always are at each others throat when we are in class. Now that I think about it they do remind me of us. Kylie acts like she can't stand him and he is always checking her for her smart mouth."

"Uh Huh. Just like I did wit yo ass in tha' beginnin. Daddy still check that ass when you get outta line." He smirked and I rolled my eyes.

"Desire what I tell yo ass about rollin' them damn eyes?" He glared at me.

I was two seconds from saying something smart, but I caught myself. I already knew what the end results would be if I said something.

"Okay daddy. I won't roll'em no more today." I smiled and sat down with my plate.

I looked at Day and he was concentrating on his eggs and sausage that I had cut up. At that moment he wasn't paying me or my husband any attention.

"So baby, you ready for your interview with Vibe?"

"Yeah I'm ready, but I already know they gon' come with all these questions concernin' my personal life." He shrugged and took a sip of his orange juice.

"I kinda figured that, but I think you will be just fine and besides you just real wit it. I love you for that."

"That's why you couldn't resist a nigga back then cause I was a real nigga and I showed you how a real nigga do thangs." He touched his chest and smiled.

"Hmm. That is absolutely true. I can't and won't lie about that." I looked at my rolex and I knew that I needed to be headed out in thirty so I finished my food and got up to clear the table once I saw that they were through.

"Baybeh go head. You cooked fa' us so I got it."

"Aw thanks babe." I grabbed all my stuff. "Bye Day. I love you." I kissed his head.

"Bye baby." I kissed him.

"Bye and I love you."

"Love you too. Have a good day at work." I called out as I left out.

I got in August truck and headed down the road happy and at peace. I hope that I have a great day at work.

*********

I walked into GSU and it felt weird because I had been gone for a lil while. It felt good to be back and I was ready to get back on the grind. I walked down the hall and greeted other professors as I made my way to my office. Once inside my office I sat everything down and took a seat. I looked around my office and felt proud of the accomplishments that I had made and the ones that I was working on.