The Time has Come

My body was sore despite the healing over the night. However, I would have loved to continue to blow off my responsibilities though Alexia made sure that I didn't.

I was now sitting in my office and had just finished some paper signing that reminded me of my old life a lot. I shook myself, though, as I was distracting myself from the two things I had left on hand. I have been practicing with Florine for the last couple of days, and I have made some progress in combat. It was something mild, though, and I still couldn't stand up to Florine at her best. I was just too damn weak.

I sighed again, and I knew I was distracting myself from the last estimates of the gold I had in the treasury here to work with. I looked at the figures, and it was an extraordinary amount. The problem was that the embassy ate into them deeply, which was the cheaper part of it. Christina was correct in one thing, though. Having a Spy ring that could pay for itself would be immense.

I looked at the figures, and Christina was in the hundreds of thousands of gold she asked for to get everything online and running. The total figure was sixty percent of all the profits that I made here in the Demon lands. It was a difficult ask, and I looked at my leftover funds, and if I accepted the funds that Christina said that the Spy ring would need to reach self sustain with the budget that the homeland would offer; I would be leaving the Demon Lands without a copper coin to my name.

I shrugged. I would need to talk to her about this, and I sighed, leaning back in the chair. I would hardily be poor, and I would have income sources. Hell, I want to insist on being at least a shareholder in the companies. But I was also not an idiot to insist on that since people could just look into what I own in the demon lands to learn where the spy ring was. That, coupled with the fact that it would not generate any income for me even if it did, it annoyed me.

I sighed, leaning back, and I stood to stretch. I was gathering too much dust here in this room by myself. I brought myself out of thought and started to pace in the room, trying not to think about it.

I failed, and my mind returned to the growing problems that were stacking upon themselves here in the Demon lands. My gold only helped those problems out and didn't solve them in the least. The biggest problems came towards the representatives, though, and I sighed. I was bringing myself into a whirlwind of second thoughts when they were cut off as I heard a knock on the door with suddenness.

I turned towards the door, and I moved to open it myself. I wasn't about to tell them to open the door when I was already on my feet. As I opened it, I was surprised to see Christina there with her usual non-expression in a black shirt and pants that didn't clash with her silver; They looked like she was out to rob someone or go for some clandestine meeting.

I moved aside and said," Come in sister," I smiled as she came in, and I closed the door behind her.

"I honestly didn't expect you to open the door for me, Ambassador," Christina replied, and I wanted to stifle a sigh. My sister was still keeping her distance despite my best to try and close that bridge a bit more. "Well, that doesn't matter, though. I came because I believe I got some information that I wasn't expecting," Christina continued and had my full attention.

"Oh," I said, and I pointed towards the couches again that seemed to become my favorite places to talk. "Please, I would love even background information at this point," I replied honestly.

"Well, I think one of my operatives in a good place finally got something useful from a Medusa. One of the servants frequents one of the... Interspecies brothels I have gotten into." Christina said with a slight blush. I looked at the rare charming expression on her face before she continued. "What I have learned is that one of the Medusa Representatives has a particular fetish, I believe," Christina said, and I looked more interested. "Well, I am not sure who she is meeting there, but from her screams of pain and joy, my operative heard she is enjoying herself. But she is in complete control of who she is meeting from word of mouth there. I am not sure of who she is meeting or if the rumor is true, but it is something interesting if you wanted to know." Christina finished, and I looked at her.