Peaceful days

The first year passed peacefully and unsurprisingly I adapted very quickly. I embraced my family with gratefulness and a sincere heart. How could I not love them? They treat me with sincerity and honestly all I can see from these supposed 'villains' are eyes filled with warmth and contentment.

Within the past year, I have become addicted to their pampering and love. So much so that my cold, modern and selfish temperament have melted like snow under the scorching heat.

My new father, the Great Regent of the Southern Provinces is an imposing and intimidating man to outsiders but at home, he is my only big teddy bear. Even though I am a nineteen year old woman stuck in a fourteen year old body, I still enjoy dishing out coquettish acts in front of such an a loving and adoring father.

"Husband, do not spoil Little Six too much, we must refrain and teach her proper manners. The girl will be coming of age in a few years, and if prospective suitors find out that she is spoilt to death by her father, who would dare marry her?" ask my new mother with an indulgent and teasing smile.

"My dear wife, this daughter is too precious to me. I must spoil her to the high heavens so that those future people are warned. They mustn't dare reach to our Little Six unless they can treat her like pearls and jewels. Otherwise the wrath of the Bai family will be on their heads. If you had given me another daughter, I could have spilt the love...but alas, all these useless boys and only one daughter....maybe?..." teased Father with a smug look on his face and a twinkle in his eyes.

Mother blushed and gently smacked Father on his arm. Unwilling to stop the tease, Father caught her soft slender hands and clasped it within his pair of big strong palms. Caressing it gently he bought her hand up to his lips and gave it a light meaningful kiss.

My brothers all discretely looked away with reddened faces while I watched the public display of affection with great interest. Who said ancient people aren't romantic? Who said ancient men cannot be faithful?

Aren't these two lovebirds solid proof that happy marriages can exist in this world? I smiled, I want this love that they have for each other. After twenty years of marriage and six children, the husband and wife are clearly still very much in love.

Unable to control the warm feelings bubbling in my heart, I blurted out these words without embarrassment.

"Father, I want to marry a man just like you!" I said with a wide smile, my heart filled to the brim with the harmony of this family and my words sincere from the depths of my heart.

Father laughed, a strong booming laugh that is deep and manly. It is warm and sturdy and gives you a sense that the man is a solid rock, someone who could shelter me from any storm.

"Only if you are as charming and kind as your mother, but unfortunately, in this world, only your mother deserves a man like me!" he exclaimed as he looked at Mother with pride.

"Cheap words, my dear husband. With my daughter's beauty and talent, there will be many families who could only hope to reach to her. My wish is to have a son-in-law. I do not like the idea of her leaving us and serving the in-laws," said Mother.

"Alas, you blame me for spoiling her and yet your thoughts are aligned with mine. Today it is settled, we shall find an outstanding man who will be willing to marry into our house. Only then can we guarantee that Little Six do not suffer obnoxious in-laws," said Father.

I smiled happily and looked around to see my brothers nodding heads while Mother fanned herself elegantly. She looked at me with deep thoughtful eyes before gently smiling and nodding to the man of the house. My heart grows softer each day I am here.

Back in my real world, I had parents who left me with my grandparents so they can work in the city. My grandparents are the type of people who value money more than their life, so I never felt that they truly cared for me. They provided for my bare essentials but that was the extent. When parents were late in sending money, the pair of grandparents did not hesitate to whine and complain in front of a child.