Temple visit again

Once again the women in the Bai family readied themselves for the tortourous trip to the temple. After months of roaming the vast lands of this fictional world, I must admit that I have become bored with staying in one place. So I grasped the chance to go outside and  accepted Mingling's invite. Unlike last time where my handsome Second Brother escorted us,  this time, it was Eldest Brother who will travel with us.

I looked at the busy servants packing carts of offerings for our caravan wistfully. The same offertory goods, the same servants and the same carriage, but with two additions, Eldest Brother and I. A small sinking feeling tugged at my heart. Second Brother is currently in a coma and I have not the opportunity to see him. I miss him.

We settled into the carriage and departed the Bai residence before the rooster crowed. Madame Bai carried her characteristic stern look while Mingling bounced on her seat in excitment. The excitement of youth and the air of a carnary being released from its cage looks addictive.

However there was a heaviness in the air. I might be too sensitive but the atmosphere inside the carriage felt uneasy. I watched Madame Bai's lovely lips for telltale signs. A slight tilt of her lips tells me all. Madame Bai is wrestling with something internally. Sure enough, once she caught my gaze she began to speak.

"Miss Muon, there is something that I have to confess. It has been bothering me for a while now and I can no longer keep it hidden from you. My conscience does not allow it, please hear me out," said Madame Bai.

I was surprised and judging by the shocked look on Mingling's face, she was equally surprised.

"Mother, what is it? Why are you so serious?" she asked. Mingling grabbed onto her mother's hands and stared at with an expression of a deer in headlights. Her expression was so dramatic that it made me giggle. Surely, whatever it is, nothing could warrant such a strong reaction. Like a parting of life and death.

"Quiet girl, Mother is talking to Miss Muon. An An, are you willing to hear me out? I won't ask that you forgive me, but just hear me out first?" replied Madame Bai.

"An An, please forgive Mother for whatever it is, I am sure we don't mean any harm. An An?" pleaded Mingling, her big eyes starting to tear up. So adorable but what a stupid thing to say. Typical of a villianous character, Mingling's first reaction can come across quite selfish.

"Mingling, stop. You cannot ask Miss Muon to forgive something she doesn't even know about. An An, I am sorry. I should have taught Mingling better," said Madame Bai.

"But Mother, An An is very reasonable, she will definitely understand and forgive you, don't worry, I know An An," exclaimed Mingling.

If I didnt know better, these words could have been mistaken for a set up. So far, the conversation has been between the mother and daughter pair and I haven't managed to a word in, so I decided to interject.

"Madame Bai, what is the matter, please do tell," I said.

Madame Bai smiled hesitantly, her eyes apologetic and she held my hand inside hers.

"An An, these pass weeks, we had invited you to stay as our special guest because of an ulterior motive. I am ashamed of ourselves and my decision to decieve you.  We have no excuses and it was the wrong thing to do. Our conscience does not allow it and with some recent developments, the Regent and I have are at a loss. An An, please understand that we are desperate," said Madame Bai.

I looked into her beautiful eyes and recognised the burden of shame. A few scenarios crossed my mind to explain the motive, but I quickly tired of guessing.

"What was the ulterior motive?" I asked gently.

"As you know, our second son was in an accident since he was young. He has been in a coma since, only surviving on the physician's medicine and our desperation to keep him alive," said Madame Bai.