His patience

Zhanglun's heart wanted to stay and ignore the impending threat. He had a nagging suspicion that as soon as he leaves her side, he will lose the control and influence over the Bai family. Paranoid that something will take her away from him, he agonised over the decision. To add fuel to his anxiety was the subtle signs of resistance displayed by the Bai Regent. A questioning glance here and a slight furrow of his eyebrows there was enough to raise Zhanglun's mental alarms.

"Bai Han, since you just woke up a year ago, I will not force you to take any examinations and positions. We have enough power and wealth for you to spend this whole life doing as you please," Bai Regent said.

"Father, your son will work hard to recover all the lost time," he replied in his best version of a humble tone.

"Son, your father and I just worry about you. I know you are excellent, too excellent in fact that since you woke up, you are already so accomplished. It feels like you have not been in a coma for the last ten years....I know that my child is a genius, but I worry that you are pushing yourself too hard..." said Madame Bai with pleading eyes.

"Mother, there is no need to worry, I will not push this body too hard," said Zhanglun. He stood up and walked over to her side.

"In that case...there is another matter. Your sister Mingling will be coming of age soon...so..." she hesitated when she saw Zhanglun's dark face at the mention of her daughter.

She gulped, uncertain as to why this son of hers can always send her heart pounding with a single glance.

"So?"

The simple question carried an icy edge. Madame Bai shifted in her seat.

"So...it has been great that you are very close will Mingling, I am very happy about our harmonious familial bonds but...but...Han Han, now that she will come of age, it will be inappropriate..." she said.

Zhanglun didn't miss the twitch of her pleading eyes that showed an emotion of fear.

"Your Mother is right, no matter what, Mingling's reputation must be protected. Even the servants are starting to gossip. Han Han, it is only human nature to think the worst, so you must reign in your behaviour around Mingling, as I have. She is no longer our adorable little girl but will grow up to be someone's wife," said Regent Bai as he stroked Madame Bai's hands. She covered his hand with hers.

Zhanglun gritted his teeth. After a few seconds of unbearable silence he finally took a step back.

"This son understands. I will be more careful in the future. Please be at ease," he said.

He paused and spoke again when he saw their shoulders raised slightly.

"Also, I have another matter to discuss with you. I have received a secret imperial summon, please read this and give your blessing. I will set off in two days," he bowed and handed over the 'imperial' decree.

Regent Bai frowned, no matter what his suspicions are, this is still his precious son. He does not want Bai Han to experience the cruelty of the world outside his protection. He was also confused as to how his son became so valued by the emperor. Since when did he make connections and became known to the emperor thousands of miles away? He sighed inwardly, feeling helpless because he could not oppose an imperial decree without good reason.

"It is good, my son, you must be careful in your journey and come back to us safely," said Madame Bai. She had observed her husband's face carefully and spoke before he could say something rash and land them in hot water.

Zhanglun bowed to these parents and left the room. As soon as his back was turned away the parents shook their heads silently. He didn't notice as all his thoughts immediately returned to Jiang Jiang.