Celestial banquet

I chuckled but felt conflicted, the naive character was meant to blacken with time and now those words tells me that underneath the warm surface laid a cold core. "Well, it's not easy being me, Bai Mingling, my cousin, it appears that you're a rebel at heart, aren't you?"

She grinned mischievously. "You noticed, did you? I'm not like those other girls, always doing what they're told. I want to live my own life, make my own choices."

I nodded, understanding her desire for freedom. "I admire your spirit, Miss Bai. But you must also understand that within the time and age we're living in, it is better for women like us to obey the rules and follow orders, even if we don't agree with them."

She pouted, crossing her arms over her chest. "I know, I know. But that is why what you did is more exciting!"

Before I could respond, Madame Bai's voice rang from the entrance. "Bai Mingling, what are you doing here? I told you not to come!"

Bai Mingling's face fell, but she quickly composed herself and turned to face her mother. "I just wanted to talk to cousin, mother. It's not a big deal."

Madame Bai narrowed her eyes and walked towards us, her ornate silk dress swishing with every step. "You know very well that you're not allowed to talk to her without my permission. Now go back to your quarters."

Bai Mingling huffed and gave a dramatic eye roll and grabbed my hand. "Fine, I'm going," she said, throwing a mischievous wink at me before turning on her heel and running off. I looked down at the little porcelain pot that she had placed in my hand and felt my heart warm up.

Madame Bai turned to me, her expression softening slightly. "I apologise for my daughter's behavior, Bai Xiao Wei. She's still young and doesn't quite understand the gravity of our situation. I hope you can bear with us until the investigation is over."

I nodded politely, my heart sinking in front of Madame Bai. I can't help but feel hurt by her coldness. I wanted to fling myself into her arms like when I was Bai Mingling and let her comfort me but I know my current place.

"I understand, aunty please have no fear, I understand completely," I said.

"That is good, your meals will brought here by the maids, so you should use this time to rest and recover your injuries. Mingling gave you one of our Bai family's most precious ointment, the formula was developed by the imperial physicians and is very effective to healing bruises, cuts and scars," she said.

I smiled and nodded, "please pass on my sincere thank you to my cousin."

"Good, good," said Madame Bai and walked away.

As Madame Bai left, I couldn't help but feel a sense of loneliness and isolation wash over me. The stillness of the courtyard, the icy gaze from Wu Meinang and my own exhaustion caused me to yawn. My fear of reentering the dream again made my heart race, but my body slowly dragged itself to lay down next to Mother Bai, and I closed my eyes. The thought of entering the dreamworld again made my skin crawl, and as soon as I fell asleep, the nightmares began to consume me.

As soon as I fell asleep, I found myself back in that magnificent world filled with thousands of celestial beings and fairies.

As I walked into the grand banquet hall, I was struck by its opulence. The decorations were breathtaking, and the tables were filled with the most delicious dishes. Music and laughter filled the air, and everyone was dressed in vibrant and elegant garments. I felt like this was a once in a lifetime event but instead of excitement An's awe, I felt incredibly small and alone.