Switching masks

I recounted my conversation with Regent Bai impassionately. Mother Bai sobbed bitterly as she listened as if we were the wronged party. "Wei Wei, our days ahead will be difficult. I don't worry about myself, but you have your whole future ahead of you. How will they let you marry well?" I sighed at the tone and words laced of accusation and fear mongering. I clenched my fist and suppressed the frustration surfacing in my chest. "Mother, we have killed people. We have killed father. This is the best outcome, what more can we ask for?"

"Best outcome? How can they say that? Your father's waywardness is their responsibility. If he didn't turn out to be such a person, how could we suffer all these years? He is a Bai. You are a Bai. It is their duty to protect you," argued Mother Bai. I stared at her incredulously. "Don't you remember the last few days? We are safe here because of their protection. They have no duty to protect us criminals. Mother, think clearly. A little suffering in this family just means that we have to lower ourselves in front of the main family. It is only right, since we really have nothing to offer them and are leeching off their kindness."

Mother Bai snorted and wiped her eyes. Anger seemed to suppress the original fear. "Ridiculous. The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that we are in this situation because of their trap. Think about it, if they didn't move us to that county, would your father have succumbed to so much gambling and bad habits? If they didn't give him so much money in the first place, he would have learned to work and be more productive. They placed us in a house right next to the biggest gambling dens, gave him enough money to become a target. Then, of course, he will be addicted and become like that. Wei Wei, we must be clear about all of this and see Shu Ling's wicked schemes."

A surge of anger flooded my chest. These unreasonable conclusions and accusations are starting to wear down my patience. She seemed to have ripped off the mask of a weak and contrite woman within minutes of finding out that she doesn't need to take responsibility for her part in the tragedy. Instead, she turns around and blames those who have only ever helped and borne with her. I need to nip this in the bud; otherwise, she will poison my mind over time, just like what she did to the original female lead. If it weren't for her constant comparisons, egging on Bai Xiao Wei to fight for Hu Xuan's love and affections against Bai Mingling, wouldn't their family life be more peaceful? Constantly showing off their love and driving Bai Mingling into a desperate corner, the spoiled and naive girl could only retaliate. If I were to judge, the catalyst of all the novel's conflicts stems from this woman and her poisonous words.

"Don't twist white into black. Mother, why are you like this? Just this morning, we were trembling in court, fearing for our lives, and now you say such things about the people who are kind enough to save us from what would be death or a life worse than death!" I said angrily. I get it, this is her character setting, the persistent jealous and greedy character that poisoned Bai Xiao Wei's mind and turned her against the Bai family. Thanks to all her stirring, it ruined Bai Xiao Wei's first life and set her up against Bai Mingling and the Bai family in her rebirth.

"Daughter, don't be fooled by this. Every step of the way and our fall has been meticulously planned by them. They turned your father into an abusive gambling addict to punish him for splitting the family and taking all the family assets. Who knows if Zhang Tun is in cahoots with them? Maybe acting under his instructions to destroy your future," she sneered angrily. I stared at her beautiful features under the bruises twist into something quite ugly and repulsive.

I shook my head, feeling a little helpless at the woman's poisonous words. "Mother, put an end to all your baseless thoughts. We are here now, under the protection of the Bai Regent, and he has clearly said that in this place, we must obey Madame Bai. Unless you want to leave this safe place and venture into the dangerous world out there with no money and shelter, then we must settle in and be grateful for all the goodwill that they have given us." She gave me a look filled with pity. "I am grateful that we have a shelter over our heads. But I feel unsettled for you. My girl, you are still so naive about the evil hearts of people. Mark my words, this is only the beginning. They will make sure that you suffer under their hands. They will destroy your future and ensure that you never marry well."