Legends

My eyes continued to be drawn towards the walls. Some carvings are reminiscent of Egyptian hieroglyphs and others simply painted like cavemen sketches. The mixture of sophisticated coded and detailed art with primitive simplicity is fascinating. I know nothing about art but the stories filled with tragedy and heroism told in these paintings is captivating and pulls the heart strings.

As I continued to push the wheelchair along the paved corridor but my feet began to drag as I unconsciously became teary while reading these stories. A warm chuckle broke my concentration and I realise I had come to a complete stop in front of a magnificent section.

It was an intricately painted scene of a man in black armour standing atop a winged beast. The creature is strangely beautiful and terrifying. With a body of a lion and the wings of a dragon, the beast combined the magnificence of the two. However, the man standing on its head is even more stunning.

His eyes are focused and cold, his hands gripping the sword hilt that is embedded in the beast's head. It was an image of victory and power, the man had clearly slain the beast. The man is surrounded by a beacon of light and worshipped by thousands of people kneeling on the ground around him. Despite the clear victory, the man had no smile nor emotion. There was even a trace of sadness on his face.

I felt a pang in the depths of my heart as if his gaze pierced pulled a hidden sadness that I never knew was buried there. A tear drop rolled down my eyes and I hastily wiped it away.

"Who is he?" I asked to distract my emotions.

Man Chiu looked at the wall and chuckled. His laughter reverberated along the walls, ignorant of my surge of emotions.

"Nothing more than a myth that my clan believes in. That is supposed to be our original creator, the one who slayed the devil's spawn and created our warrior race," said Man Chiu.

"A myth? Why is this so familiar..."I muttered to myself. The man looked so sad in victory as if pained by his very action.

"Familiar? This story has been plagiarised time and time again, never mind...keep moving on," he said.

I looked back at the stunning man on the beast's head one last time and buried the tightness in my chest and continued pushing the wheelchair forward. The images continued to tell disjointed stories like a long tapestry but there was none that arouse the same feelings.

Soon we reached a fork in the corridor, three routes to take, straight, left or right. I hesitated before turning right based on the direction of Man Chiu's finger.

Shortly after the corridor spilt into another three routes and once again we turned right. This repeated itself, it seems like every one hundred steps the corridor would spilt up making up hundreds of different combinations and routes.

I had thought that if I memorised them route I could try and escape from here, but the combination is so complex that I had already forgotten half of the turns. The worst part is that the walls itself also shifts and changes positions.

"It is impossible to escape from here without a senior clan member leading the way. Just one wrong turn could be deadly," he said.

"Man Chiu, you sit there so comfortably and boast. If you were a real man, instead of have a girl push you around in the middle of the night, you should just be doing something useful with your time. Be less crazy and more magnanimous and you could possibly live longer," I snapped back.

"Bai Mingling, your sharp tongue is inconsistent with your noble upbringing," he muttered.

"Like I said, my parents spoilt me. What's your excuse, why are you a lunatic?"