He cries

Hu Xuan stopped in his tracks. Her firm words and attitude is clear as day. So as per her wishes, he obeyed silently as he suffers an internal battle. He clenched his jaws tightly, resisting against the powerful desire from every cell in his body to embrace her in his arms and never let go.

His heart tethers on the edge of reason and fear. A strong and painful fear which fills each breath with a suffocating pressure. He knew that each moment with her today is precious because tomorrow he will return to the endless misery and maybe forget her entirely.

He currently does not know anything but the fear of time and the consequences of endlessly drifting in the fog of forgetfulness. Only with her presence does a ray of sunlight shine and dispel the misty curtain of his depression. Thus, he needs her light, like a moth obsessed with flames, so he is with her.

Hu Xuan is painfully aware that desperation leaks through every fibre of his being. He knows it but in front of her, it is as if he has no pride to speak off. So he would rather beg for her pity than to lose the only buoy of his salvation. He slowly lowered himself to the ground into a kneeling position and allowed his heart pain to manifest itself into a tear drop.

Once one fell, a torrent was unleashed and he felt himself sob shamefully. Men can feel pain but inwardly he knew that most men would rather die than to cry infront of a woman.

He did not care, at this moment, it is enough for him if she can share a morsel of pity. As long as she is willing to walk alongside him, there is nothing he will not do to break this curse.

"I am sorry for the things you said I did. Even though I do not remember it, because of my condition....I am sorry. Please pity and forgive me, so I can redeem myself and compensate you for the pain I have caused," he pleaded.

"Your condition?" she stuttered.

"I have been told that my memory gets wiped out everyday. I have no recollection of the past nor what I did before I woke up this morning. By nightfall my memories fade away. I currently have no idea who I am, my family or where I am," he said with an edged voice.

Bai Mingling's face blanched, short term memory loss should affect only short term memory, so how can he forget his own identity? What has Second Brother done?

"Ooh...Hu Xuan...no why the kneeling? We'll let bygones be bygones, I'm not angry anymore so stop kneeling like this. Okay?" she said.

No way in the world would Bai Mingling could have anticipated that the mighty male lead of this novel would kneel in front of her, tears streaming down his face and beg her to  forgive him. She felt a tinge of guilt, knowing full well that his condition is related to her. She made an mental note to seek her brother to undo whatever curse he has put on this poor man.

If the Hu family found out, this would create an unmendable political rift and her father will be dragged into this. She calculated the military powers of the Hu family and its role in pulling down the Bai family in the novel. After all, Xiao Wei had used the Hu's powers to suppress the Bai family and lead them to make desperate treasonous acts.

Mingling still remembers the tragic scene in the novel describing the Bai family's extermination. With each beheading the blood joined the already steady stream of red, the only colour that could wash away Xiao Wei's grievances and suffering in the last life.

He watched her eyes glazed over and felt annoyed that she could still be distracted while comforting him. So to pull her attention back to himself, Hu Xuan continued to sob pitifully, and like an abandoned lover he gave her with a look full of grievance and blame.

Her heart melted as she squatted down and using her fingers she wiped away the two streams of tears staining this handsome face. As her hand touched his flawless smooth skin, Bai Mingling forgot to breathe as she felt the silky softness and each detail of his strikingly elegant face. Her heart filled with envy. It is unfair that this man can be so handsome while crying when she becomes an actual mess when she tries.