Hospitality

Xiao Shi gave me a scruntinising stare as she handed over a small cup of tea. Then she smiled that didn't reach her eyes and said, "excuse my curiousity, who are you fleeing from?"

Mother Bai looked abit taken back and gave me a worried look. Xiao Shi's straightforward question that was posed right when we sat down for the meal was just simply shocking. I smiled hesitantly as I scanned the piping hot dishes of stirfried bak choi and scrambled eggs and bitter melon. The small bowl of steaming white rice and hot tea showed the host's generousity. In this village, meat and eggs is a valuable commodity, let alone white rice, it tells me that Xiao Shi means no harm.

"Miss Xiao, I guess that you are concerned about the injuries on our foreheads. This humble one appreciates your concern. My mother and I hope to leave as soon the morning break so that we don't cause unnecessary troubles for you," I said.

"Oh, unneccesary troubles? Don't you think that your host  deserves to know what unnecessary troubles we may face?"

"Of course, this humble one appreciates the concern, it is just that the more you know, the more danger it might cause you. I don't want to see a beauty face troubles because of me," I replied while carefully watching her reaction.

She smiled again and nodded her head slightly.

"In that case, I ask that both of you leave our village immediately. I will give you some food to take along on your journey as I don't want to leave you for dead. Since you cannot be honest with me, I cannot risk my villagers' lives for you. Staying the night is too dangerous because who knows what will come out of the woodwork to hunt you down," she said coolly.

Mother Bai grabbed my hand and pleaded with her eyes. I nodded slowly, understanding her intent. We are both battered and exhausted. If we were to continue going as we are currently, we may not survive the journey. By now the magistrate's people would have discovered Bai To's body and realise that we have fled. They might already be in pursuit. We travelled by a slow donkey and they would be riding horses. The time advantage we had might already be at lost. I sighed and raised my cup to Xiao Shi.

"Miss Xiao, I am afraid that if we leave now, both my father and I will perish. But if we tell you about our plight, I am afraid it will involve you unnecessarily. If you know our names, those who are pursuing us will surely know that you have harboured us."

"This Xiao Shi has never feared the heavens or the earth. Though we are small in number here, but we are no pushover. You be honest with me. If I feel that you deserve your situation, I promise I will let you go without stopping you, so that whatever befalls you in the future, it is your fate. But if it is something that..."

"Miss Xiao, we are not hoping you will help us and involve you. We just want to rest for the night and then we will be on our way," I interrupted.

The scene of your bloodsoaked body is not something I want to see again in this lifetime. Xiao Shi should live in this village and be safe.

She chuckled and shook her head as if giving up on us. I felt a little guilty but firm in my resolve.

"So be it. Eat, eat, strangers. Then go to the small hut at the back and leave before the sunrises. I don't want to see you again," she said and got up.

"Miss Xiao, thank you for your kindness," I said.

Mother Bai bowed to Xiao Shi until she left the room. We sat down and ate in silence. It appears that we have passed this hurdle for now. I glanced at Mother Bai who was conscientiously eating and felt a heaviness in my heart. If I didn't transmigrate into the female lead at that moment, she wouldn't be on the run with me now. Whilst the novel was silent on the family's situation before the female lead recovered her memories of her previous life, it could be deciphered that both mother and daughter pair had managed to survive the abuse and convinced Bai To to visit the Regent's family. The female lead may not have led a pleasant life, but at least they are not on the run and fearing for their lives. At least, she has not become a murderer so early on.