Bandits

In the past life, I was a sensible and protected by Second Brother, but as Muon Rui An, I was not bounded by the Tang dynasty's rules and restrictions. Instead of sitting still and waiting for things to happen to me, this time I must take action.

"Bai Xuang, don't limit your imagination about me. I am not like the women of your Middle Empire and needs saving. Plus my skills maybe a notch or two higher than yours, so I will be able to help in an emergency. Let me lead your men to scout and you can stay here to protect your family," I said.

Madame Bai nodded and Mingling looked at me with eyes that shone with admiration.

"Thats right Eldest Brother! Don't limit your imagination, An An is not a person of our Tang Empire, she is skillful and tough, so you must trust her and let her go!" exclaimed Mingling as she lifted the curtains and poked her head out to confront her brother.

"Son, let Miss Muon go, we will settle here and wait for their return. You are the leader here without your Father, and we need you to make the arrangements," said Madame Bai.

I nodded appreciatively. Madame Bai's words are logical and appeals to his ego. This is how the women of this empire and time adapted to the patriarchal society.

"In that case, Miss Muon, take ten men and be careful," said Bai Xuang.

He looked past Mingling and stared at my face with an unreadable expression. This was the first time he has truly seen me in person. The restrictive nature of the dynasty rules meant that males and females have always been separated. Even as a guest at their palace, he would have just heard my name in passing. Case in point, even as we were travelling together, he came out after we had settled in the carriage. I smiled and nodded at Bai Xuang. 

The young man's eyes seemed to glaze over and then he turned bright red. I resisted the urge to giggle and diverted my gaze. In my first life, Eldest Brother was too busy to really spend much time with me, so I didn't get very close to him.

Currently holding the position of the region's most eligible bachelor with Hu Xuan coming in a close second, he is the epitome of looks, wealth and power. Studious in nature, serious in his endeavours and the heir of the Bai Regent, Bai Xuang's status is completely justified. Maybe he is too serious, so that he comes across as intimidating and the responsibilites on his shoulders had delayed his marriage. Hopefully in this life he makes a good match.

I stepped out of the carriage as a servant bought over an obedient brown horse. The horse had a white patch on its head and stood proud and handsomely. I lightly patted its head and stroked its body before tightening the saddle and pulled myself up without assistance. I was grateful that I had the sense to dress in my riding attire instead of the flowy dresses.

Bai Xuang coughed lightly behind me as the other soldiers rode up besides me. I smiled and waved at Mingling.

"Bai Xuang, I will be back imminently, let us pray that there is nothing too dangerous ahead," I said before giving the horse a little kick and led the small party down the dirty road.

"Sister An is too cool!" I heard Bai Mingling shout in the background. I chuckled.

I followed my nose and memories from the last life directly to the location where the bandits had attacked the Hu family caravan. The thumping of horses behind assured me of the miltary support. I calculated from memory, there must be at least twenty bandits who had waylaid and attacked the Hu. The terrain was rough and they had the caravan cornered. If it wasn't for the terrain advantage, there was no way a gang of ragtag bandits can take down powerfully trained miltary guards in such a quick and devastating way.

The scent of blood thickened as we crossed the fork in the dirt road and headed south. Soon the sounds of female wails mingled with bloodthirsty men's shouts clashing of the swords grew louder as we approached. This must have been the scene that Second Brother faced when he arrived here last time. Bodies of guards and manservants sliced open with their guts spilling across the ground. The women were tied and gagged while the few remaining fought to their last breath to allow Madame Hu time to escape. Hu Xuan was no where to be found and the bandits on full adrenalin as they slaughtered the family.