Treatment

My hands began to tremble as Second Brother's mood worsened. This really won't do, so I bit my lips and steadied my pounding heart.

"Second Brother, you need to go to check on Mother. She had quite a scare today," I said.

Second Brother probably thought it was an eyesore for him to stay around and after an internal battle he decided to leave. The atmosphere immediately lightened.

A while later, he returned with the physician but I was already finished. The physician's shocked gaze at my handiwork was really satisfying to behold.

"See your sister's skills?" I teased and elbowed Second Brother.

"That is the last time you will touch another man," he whispered coldly through gritted teeth.

My smile froze and I looked at Second Brother questioningly. He ignored me and left the tent. This is the first time since my transmigration that Second Brother has treated me so coldly, it is baffling to say the least. I felt a wave of sadness wash over me as I watched his retreating back. It was a strange and disconcerting feeling as if something has implicitly changed in our sibling relationship.

I shot a dirty look at the unconscious man on the bed, and placed the blame on his shoulders. This stupid plot, this stupid entanglement between us must never happen in this life. I left the tent without looking backwards and refused to see him again.

Later that day we slowly moved towards the Summer Pavilion and settled in for the night. I stayed in my courtyard and had my meals in there, mainly to avoid Madame Hu and possibly Second Brother. His coldness towards me had really hurt my pride and I was not really to let him off.

The next day the Bai family left the Summer Pavilion, leaving behind some guards and maids to help the injured Hu family entourage. Mother had assured Madame Hu that the villa is available for their use for as long as necessary. When we left, Hu Xuan is still unconscious but the medical practitioner said that his fever has subsided and he will recover soon.

I gave Second Brother the cold shoulder the rest of the way, preferring to stay inside my carriage and lick my wounds. Mother seemed to feel the temporary estrangement but she wisely ignored it. Second Brother rode his horse besides my carriage the whole way but did not attempt to say any soothing words.

Like this the entourage quietly arrived back home, in a much more muted fashion than when we left. When Second Brother held out his hand to help me step down from the carriage I hastily withdrew as soon as my feet touched the ground. I barely held my tears while I greeted Father and the other brothers before fleeing back to my courtyard.

That night I was so upset and my eyes puffy from crying that I skipped dinner and told the maids to say that I am exhausted from the travel. When I tried to eat the congee that Mother had sent, the soup was too bland that it left me with no appetite. Instead I laid in bed to read my favourite novel. Soon I heard the familiar taps on the door.

"Little Six, Second Brother is here to see you, I heard you are unwell so I want to check up on you," said the low comforting voice, the cold edge has been stripped away and leaving only his normal warmth.

My lips lifted unbidden and my heart leapt, wanting to rush over to open the door for him, but if I make it too easy for him, won't Second Brother think I am a pushover?

"Young Master, my Miss is exhausted from the travels and must have fallen asleep. How about I check on her and let her know that you visited?" suggested Bao Mi.

"No, it is too early for Little Six to be sleeping...also it is not good to sleep on an empty stomach. Little Six, open up and let Second Brother in. I heard you didn't eat your dinner and I am concerned," he said more forcefully.