Decree

"Does it matter? How foolish of me, but yes, of course, it matters. Your dreams may have felt real, but it's the reality that counts. If in this lifetime, your fates are intertwined and you can find lasting happiness together, then what significance do those dreams hold? I fail to see how the love you experienced in those dreams could surpass what your future holds. As your elder sister, I feel compelled to caution you. Don't allow your heart to stray from your beliefs, your values, and who you truly are. Your family adores you, and your parents would do anything to see you happy. Stay true to yourself and seek out genuine happiness," I said calmly, though emotions churned within me.

She nestled her head against my shoulder once more and sighed, "You speak the truth. Despite all the privileges bestowed upon me, I still feel inadequate compared to you. Even when our family relations were strained, I always hoped you would return to be with me. I have brothers, but none can compare to the bond I share with you, my sister."

"Then, no matter what the future holds, shall we promise never to break the trust we have in each other?" I asked, extending my pinky finger. She smiled and entwined her pinky with mine, saying, "A pinky promise. Regardless of what may come, I will always trust in my sister."

Suddenly, the horses neighed loudly, and the carriage came to an abrupt halt. Shouts and the sound of heavy boots filled the air. "Please, remain calm. I am here on behalf of the Emperor!" boomed a voice from outside. "Everyone, step out and kneel to receive His Majesty's commands!"

We exchanged bewildered glances, Mingling's expression mirroring my own confusion. This wasn't in the book, nor was it part of my past life. We hurriedly exited the carriage and knelt behind Madame Bai and our retinue. A man in blue robes dismounted his warhorse with unsteady steps and unfurled a golden scroll. I discreetly counted the hooves and shoes surrounding us.

"By decree of His Majesty, it is proclaimed that the heavens have blessed our Tang Empire with strong defenses, loyal subjects, and amiable allies at our borders. The Bai family's dedication to our nation spans generations, and their loyalty and righteousness have never wavered. Now, their contributions are recognized with the upcoming union between their daughter and Prince Man Chiu of the Man Banner Tribes of the Northwest. Given the national significance of this marriage, the Imperial Palace extends an invitation to the Bai family to celebrate the nuptials in the capital. Regent Bai is occupied with governing the Southern Provinces, and Prince Man Chiu's envoys have returned home. It is with great pleasure that Zhen shares this joy with Regent Bai. Madame Bai and her daughters' entourage are to accompany the escorts to the Imperial Palace and remain within its walls until the wedding day. The Man Banner entourage is expected to arrive in the capital by the third month for the auspicious ceremony. This is the Emperor's decree; loyal subjects, heed it well."

"This loyal subject obeys," we declared in unison. Resisting the decree would mean the execution of nine generations, so we had no choice but to obey. Madame Bai's brows furrowed, creasing her beautiful face with deep lines of worry and uncertainty. She looked towards the commanding officer and stood up, asking him politely with a steady voice as she held the scroll in her hand.

"Imperial office, we are on our yearly tradition of going to the temple and seeking a prosperous year. The journey to the imperial city is past the temple. I hope it does not inconvenience you if we stop by the temple on our way there. Also, has another decree been sent to my husband, the Bai Regent? I fear that he would overthink things if he doesn't hear back from us. We had destroyed a bandit's nest a few days ago. The times are still uncertain, and the Regent must be on high alert."

The officer smirked and spoke in a condescending tone, as if we women were too stupid to comprehend. Bai Xuang had temporarily left us to drive ahead while he settled things around the manor and was to join us at the temple. Without a male family escort, Madame Bai was the head of the family and supported only by retainers and servants.