A village

Two little figures ran across a field, creating ripples as their bodies brushed against the masses of white daisies. The flowers swayed, their stems gave way to the path cut through by the little boy. Childish giggles from both children filled the otherwise calm expanse.

"You can't catch me!" giggled the little culprit as he pushed his short legs with all his energy. In his hands gripped a crown of daisies that had been carefully woven together.

"Just you wait! I'll get you!" giggled the pursuer. A little girl in hot pursuit wore an expensive light pink dress with two pigtails flying behind her, laughed unbounded.

"Hehehe...no..no..." giggled the boy but he made the fatal mistake of turning around to see her lovely dimpled face.

The spilt second allowed her to catch up as she took one deep breath and launched herself forward, tackling the little boy to the ground. The boy giggled loudly as her little hands roamed his stomach and sides.

"Noo...hehe...stop....heee...it tickles!" he begged between giggles.

She sat on his little body and pinned him down. Even though they are the same age, she is faster and bigger. Her little fingers moved even faster wriggling itself into his armpits.

"Xue Xue, let this be a lesson for you, don't mess with me!" she exclaimed in triumph.

"Meng Meng, I'm sorry...hehe...I 'm sorry..." he laughed and tried to throw her off his body. But she was too big and heavy while he struggles with all the tickles.

She stopped and laughed heroically. Then flipped herself over and laid on her back beside him. They laughed with the innocent chuckles of children.

"Meng Meng, next time you see me, I will surely be bigger, stronger and faster than you," said Little Xue Zhanglun.

Meng Jiang laughed and rolled over to face her little friend and poked at his two cute dimples. Suddenly the atmosphere changed and her little round face scrunched unhappily. Little Xue Zhanglun held his breath as a single tear rolled down her little pink face. His little heart twisted uncomfortably and rolled over to face her. He lifted the daisy crown and placed on her head. She had raise one hand to hold the flower crown in place so that it won't fall down.

"Don't cry," he said sweetly.

"You're so mean! How can you go without taking Meng Meng with you?" she exclaimed.

"I don't know. I asked parents but they said that Meng Meng must stay with Uncle and Aunty. They said that we'll be back very soon, so we children must be obedient and listen to the adults. Meng Meng, I promise, I will be back as soon as I can," he said.

The little children looked like they are barely five years old, but their conversation held a deep sadness and maturity beyond what could be expected.

"But Uncle...he..." she muttered.

"Oh look at that white dragon flying above! Your uncle is back, we must hurry back before they find out that you are missing," said Little Xue Zhanglun in a panic.

Little Meng Jiang frowned at the enormous figure about them, flying through the air as if it was fish in water. The unease in her stomach tightened further. She smiled at her little friend and immediately sat up. Securing the flower crown on her head she ran back into the direction they came.

"Wait for me!" shouted Little Xue Zhanglun.

The two children ran back with all their remaining energy, this time more anxious than carefree as contrasted to the minutes before. When Little Meng Jiang finally got to the bottom of the thousand steps that led up to the sky tower she had to stop to catch her breath. Little Xue Zhanglun came up huffing and puffing behind her.