Breaking the engagement

Over the next few days I rested and planned my escape. First things first, I counted my money. Don't call me a realist but without it, escaping will not be very fun in this world. Luckily, along with Muon Rui An's revered position, comes uncountable wealth at her disposal. Actually, one should consider the money as compensation for the lack of motherly love. Similar to the modern world where parents sacrifice time with their children in their preoccupation with climbing the corporate ladder and building wealth, her mother sacrificed time with her to fulfil the responsibilities of being a tribal chief.

With a mother who is always ravaging and pillaging other tribes and lands to secure their own power and riches, Muon Rui An was raised by a team of nurses and teachers, who both feared and revered her. When the mother would return with hundreds of chests of treasures and the spoils of conquest, the only daughter and heir was naturally given an allotment. In short, she grew up without it mother's love but was well compensated with precious gifts, treasures and gold.

Another fortunate part of the status was that Muon Rui An was entrusted with the Stari Compass. The only compass that could help its holder navigate through the complex tunnels that connects to the outside world. When I discovered it was in my possession, I felt a ray of hope cut through the depression that had gripped my mind when I transmigrated.

Holding the Stari Compass, surrounded by countless wealth and supported by an inhumanly strong maid, I felt invincible. All I need now is for my body to fully recover before I can flee. Escape seems to be at my fingertips!

"Miss, it has been three days since your injury and yet Young Master Man has not come to visit. Even if he was too busy, at least send over a physician or medicinal gifts...how can it be that he does not even send over a message to his own fiancée? I have been holding it in all these days, by I cannot help but voice the heartlessness of this man! If it wasn't because of your insistence to marry him, the Chief would not have promised to the engagement and Young Master Man would not have been able to become the heir apparent....I feel so upset for you Miss," said Xu Mi.

"There is no need to mention that man, this incident has definitely revealed his true colours. Even though I have temporarily lost my memories, I am sure that I no longer hold any affection for him," I said.

"Miss, really? But your love for Young Master Man has survived for so many years and so many incidents...oh...can it be that he has really hurt your heart this time? Even though this time might be the most serious incident but our Miss cannot lose against an unknown woman from god knows where. Once we get rid of her, won't things go back to the way it was meant to be?" she asked.

"I know what you are thinking, but Xu Mi, I am tired of chasing him. Forced fruit is never sweet and not worth the effort. Once I recover I will break off this engagement. Let's cut off the meaningless charade with him and the Man family," I replied.

Tears streamed down Xu Mi's perfectly round face. I smiled and gently wiped her tears away.

"How can someone as strong as you be such a crybaby," I teased.

"I am sorry, it is just that Xu Mi is so angry and sad for Young Miss. All these years you have sacrificed so much for him and in return....oh never mind, Young Miss is right...the past is in the past, there is no need to bring it up," she said and hastily wiped her face with her sleeves.

I stayed silent. Unsure what sacrifices this character has done for Man Chiu but I know that the unrequited love she had for him turned into an ugly obsession that ultimately resulted in her own death. Whatever it was, it no longer matters as I want nothing to do with him and the storyline. I pulled myself out of the comfortable bed and slowly made my way over to the table. Xu Mi rushed to support me.