Temple visit again

The next day, the anticipation in the air was palpable as we prepared for our journey. The carriages were meticulously packed, and I found myself once again joining Bai Mingling and Madame Bai. This time, the presence of Man Chiu's soldiers flanking us at the front and rear added seriousness and importance to the trip. "Isn't this too much? We are just going to the temple," Mingling teased. I glanced at Man Chiu who sat in his wooden wheelchair with a serious expression of going to war. I shook my head in response, unable to find words to respond.

"Bai Xiao Wei will be my wife, and if she loses even a strand of hair, then you need to bring your heads to me," Man Chiu declared arrogantly. His gaze, however, softened as it met my face, and a disarming smile graced his handsome features. The brightness of that smile sent a flutter through my heart. I waved and smiled at him before lowering the curtains. "Heartless woman," I heard him mutter ads my carriage rolled past him. "We will marry when you return!"

As our carriage rolled smoothly, the journey resumed much like the previous one until we reached the familiar intersection. Bai Xuang, taking charge, halted our entourage and rode to the front with urgency evident in his voice. "Mother, it appears that there are bandits ahead. Our scouts reported that the Hu banner is under attack."

"The Hu family? We must save whoever we can, son. Do we have enough people?" Madame Bai inquired with raised eyebrows, her bright eyes silently counting the number of soldiers in the entourage.

"With the Man soldiers, there should not be a problem, but it would inconvenience you and my sisters to wait somewhere safe so I can clear the way," Bai Xuang replied.

"No matter the inconvenience, saving people is of the utmost importance," Madame Bai asserted. "Take as many men as you think you need. We will head to our summer palace to prepare for the treatment if there are any people injured. Let a scout go to call for a physician just in case."

"I understand, Mother, please take care and don't worry too much," he replied. Madame Bai patted his shoulders and waved her hand, "Go now, with urgency, do whatever you need to do to save them."

As our carriages were led toward the Bai family's summer residence, Bai Xuang rode ahead, leading the charge toward the bandits. "Stay safe and take them all out!" shouted Bai Mingling at her brother's retreating figure.

Amidst the urgency, the serene atmosphere of the Bai family's estate seemed to contradict the imminent danger. Bai Mingling expressed her worry, her round face furrowed with concern. "Mother, I hope brother will be able to rescue the Hu family in time."

"The Hu family is strong and righteous, having sacrificed much for the empire. It would be a tragedy if anything untoward were to happen to them," Madame Bai replied, comforting Mingling. Her gaze then turned to me, concern evident in her eyes. "My son seemed to mention that you saved the eldest Hu daughter on your way into the city?"

"It was nothing. Her husband had a seizure, and I recognized a condition I had seen treated in the village. I applied what I had learned, and fortunately, it saved him," I explained.

"If they are part of the party today, we will need your help to look after the eldest Hu daughter. It's always good to have a familiar face to provide comfort in times of crisis."

"I understand and will try my best," I assured Madame Bai.

As we settled in the summer palace, I seized the moment to slip away, intent on following the novel's narrative where the Bai family saves the Hu Madame and other ladies, but Hu Xuan is discovered later by Bai Xiao Wei. I needed to adhere to this storyline to cement my bond with Hu Xuan. Tracing my steps back to the intersection, I ventured eastward as the novel described.