Confessions

"My daughter has arrived, so dear sister-in-law, what is it that you wish to discuss?" Mother Bai inquired, her voice echoing in the tense silence of Madame Bai's chamber. The moment I entered, I could feel the palpable tension, a silent storm brewing in anticipation of my arrival. Despite knowing the direction this conversation was likely to take, my heart pounded with trepidation. I lowered my gaze, evading their piercing stares, and positioned myself behind Mother Bai.

"Mother, Madame Bai," I began, my voice barely above a whisper.

Madame Bai acknowledged me with a nod before stating bluntly, "Bai Xiao Wei is undeniably beautiful, but I cannot comprehend the Prince's fascination with her. Rumors suggest that this Prince is cold and calculating. He has no women by his side and has consistently resisted marriage alliances. He is not one to fall for a woman on a whim, especially not for a girl of unknown origin whom he has only met twice."

Mother Bai arched an eyebrow and responded with a smug smile. "Perhaps my daughter is blessed. It's as if the heavens have compensated for all the heartache and pain her father inflicted upon us. I can only hope that she brings great fortune to the Bai family and that the Prince might consider aiding the Regent in politics. Sister-in-law, it's not as if she could secure a better match. Given our current status, there are no other possibilities."

"Even so, who can say whether it's a blessing or a curse? Tang Su Mi, you must understand this - my husband and my family do not require Bai Xiao Wei's assistance in politics. It's a man's world and we women need not resort to our feminine charms to exert influence. Therefore, we will neither encourage nor prevent this match. If the Prince is as determined as he seemed last night, perhaps there is nothing left for us to do but comply. Bai Xiao Wei, regardless of your feelings towards this match, I'm afraid there's nothing I can do to assist you. Please understand."

Mother Bai locked eyes with Madame Bai for a moment before forcing a smile onto her face and responding through gritted teeth, "Of course, Xiao Wei understands this. We are all bound by our circumstances."

I observed the two women - both beautiful and gracefully aged - who had led very different lives despite being of the same age. Mother Bai was the daughter of a low-ranking literati who had inherited a decent fortune from her mother's side and received an education from her father. She spoke elegantly and appeared soft-spoken when she needed to impress others. She exuded an aura of delicate purity deserving of only the best things in life, yet her eyes revealed her calculating nature.

In contrast, Madame Bai hailed from a wealthy merchant family that had amassed a large fortune but suffered from a poor reputation. She was an incredibly intelligent woman - resilient and independent - with clear eyes devoid of any scheming intentions. Her only weakness was the excessive love she showered upon her daughter.

"Aunty... Madame Bai," I began again, "the Prince's position makes it difficult to resist his advances. I understand that the Regent must consider the bigger picture. As a dependent of this family, if there is any contribution I can make, then I will do so willingly."

Madame Bai signaled her maid who immediately began massaging her temples - an indication that her migraines had returned. When I was living as Bai Mingling, I would stay by her side during these times, applying medicinal ointment on her temples and massaging her scalp to alleviate the pain.

"Does your head still ache often?" I asked instinctively.

She furrowed her brows at me in confusion. "Yes, whenever I overthink things it tends to return. How did you know about my condition?"

"Sister-in-law," Mother Bai interjected quickly before glancing at me and subtly shaking her head in warning, "I informed Xiao Wei on our way here. We need to ensure we stay out of your way and cause as little inconvenience as possible."