Enmity

"What can you get from this apart from the enmity of the Bai family? If you have no use for me here, is it really worth falling into someone's trap?" I asked.

"In my eyes the Bai family is insignificant, your father's army might be powerful to the weak but in the face of ultimate might, it is insignificant," he said.

I was lost for words, truly this character's arrogance is astounding. Even the Emperor will have to respect my father's words but yet this man sees it as nothing more than child's play.

"Will you kill me then? I assure you my family will find out and avenge my death. Why not stop while you're ahead and tell me your conditions," I said.

He laughed and winked at me.

"I won't kill you yet. Let me see how far I can push you until you reach your limit and beg me to kill you. I can already picture that face filled with tears, snot and blood."

"You have a sickness...in the head. What a lunatic," I observed.

He laughed again and rolled the chair backwards, returning to his original position behind the table. Ignoring my glare she signalled to the guards outside.

"Take her to the side room next to mine...Miss Bai...that is enough for now, I will let you settle in before starting your torture," he said with a lazy wave of his hands.

The two minions immediately rushed into the room to grab me. I jumped up before they could reach me and held a hand out to stop them.

"I'll follow you, don't touch me anymore. Remember, gentlemen uses words instead of their fists," I said before leading the way outside the room.

I had no idea where I was going but anywhere beats being around Man Chiu. I shuddered when I started recalling the man's arc.

In Xiao Wei's first life, she met Man Chiu after being sold to a brothel by Bai Mingling. He was undercover at that time, on a mission to find the traitor who had stolen Man Clan's recipe to make explosives.

He had chased the man from beyond several borders, completely undaunted or obstructed by his physical health. That night he had set up a trap for the man in this brothel. While waiting for the prey to fall into his well laid out trap, he witnessed Xiao Wei getting abused by a customer.

Normally the young man would just ignore the cruel acts of sadistic men. This time he couldn't because she cried too beautifully. He saved the beauty and took her back to his country, a remote and treacherous place where the Man Clan ruled.

Xiao Wei learned how to fight and cultivate powers from the Man Clan. When he died years later, she felt like the world ended. The man who was her lover and saviour left a big gap in her heart.

In the story, after Xiao Wei had successfully rid of the Bai family, she tried all means to see Man Chiu again. After being his lover for so long, it was too easy to hook him with a look.

Man Chiu has a mysterious background that wasn't revealed until much later in the arc. The Man Clan are the ancient equivalent of arms dealers. Instead of guns, they trade in all manners of military grade weapons, explosives, poisons and drugs. You name it, they've got it at a price.

The reason they are so fearless is that the family operates across borders from an exclusively held and heavily defended location. No one can come and go in their territories without their knowledge or permission. The main business is profitable enough but Man Chiu single handedly created a side business that is growing daily. Near the end of his arc, it was said that Man Chiu's assassin's concierge service for VIPs has grown so powerful that it rivals the arms trade.