Chapter 15: Talks With Mom

Max's pov

I couldn't really sleep last night. It was like a dream, the kiss with el and a nightmare with Neil and everything that had happened last night. It was like unbelievable. It was so quiet after we got home.

It's because Neil was gone, Neil was gone. I kept repeating that in my head and I still couldn't believe it. He would contastly yelling at the tv while watching a football match like they would hear him or something

Or screaming at Billy for having his music playing loudly or me who keeps trying to do tricks on the skateboard outside the house. Apparently he could hear that too.

Or lately my mom and him have been arguing every day. My mom got literally tired of him and started talking back, obviously he didn't like it.

My thoughts drifted back to el. She climped from my window at midnight we kissed, well I kissed her actually. But I did it because she accidentally told me she loves me. She looked ashamed so I grabbed her hand and kissed her.

I've been waiting for that but I knew I couldn't because I knew she didn't like girls. In my surprise, she actually does and she likes me. Now my whole body is filled with bruises just because of that kiss...

I don't regret the kiss at all. It's Neil's fault and Neil's only. He could have reacted differently, like my mom or anyone else who still supports me. But of course he wouldn't because that's who he is.

That was my biggest fear when I realised I have feelings for el, who is a girl.. which is "not acceptable" to most people, I guess I got lucky Steve, hopper, will, mom and Billy aren't like this.

I was quite shocked about my mother's reaction. She didn't even care at all. I thought she would be mad or disappointed, or... maybe she is disappointed that I don't like boys because she kept asking if I'm seeing any boy or being with one.

Wait... What if el kissed me back because she felt bad? What if she doesn't really like me. No.. El wouldn't lie right? I hope not. Did she break up with Mike? I have no idea. (max doesn't know yet)

Suddenly my mom got in the room. Why was she there?it was 4 am or something. "mom? What are you doing here?" I asked taking off my headphones. She closed the door behind her.

"hey.. why aren't you asleep?" she asked sitting down in front of me on the bed. "I would ask you the same" I said raising an eyebrow. "I couldn't sleep" she said. "me either" I said. "I-I just wanted to apologise about Neil-I should have broken up with him earlier" my mom said looking anywhere but my eyes.

"mom-it's fine" I said. "why didn't you tell me you likes girls?" she asked finally making eye contact with me as my face started to turn red. I cleared my throat. "because I was scared?" I said. "I'm sorry.. I just thought you would marry a man and I never thought of you that way, maybe when you were younger-" she said but I cut her off.

"wait-what do you mean?" I asked. "come on max.. you've always been acting weird. You dressed more like a boy, you liked hanging out with boys more when you were in elementary school, even though sometimes you argued because they wouldn't want you because you were a girl" she said.

"you kept saying that some girls were annoying" she said. "yeah, if you met them you would agree" I said as she laughed. "yeah trust me I know how little girls act like" she said.

"plus you were never interested on anyone, any boy, at least that I knew, except when that boy lucas came in your life, and you started hanging out with those other boys who I forgot their names but yeah" she said.

Has she noticed all those thing when I wouldn't? "how did you notice all that?" I asked. "I'm your mom maxine" she said smiling.

"how long have you known?" she asked. I looked down. I shrugged. "I don't know.. I guess when I first met el, but I didn't realise it back then, I thought I was just extra happy to see my best friend, not that I liked her in a different way" I said.

I felt like I could talk to her now. She
nodded motioning me to continue.

"does lucas know?" she asked. I nodded looking down. "he's the one who pointed it out, he knew before me I guess. He noticed I don't really like him anymore" I said.

She looked away skeptical. "is that why you two had an argument?" she asked. I nodded. "what did he do?" she asked. Why is she asking so many questions.

"he took it bad, started yelling at me and stuff but he apologised after" I said as she nodded. "he was upset.. he fortunately apologised after at least. Maybe he was just shocked" she said. "yeah he was, I truly did hurt him and I feel so bad-" I said.

"don't feel bad, it's not your fault, okay? It's who you are and it doesn't matter to me... if anyone else treats you badly because of that they better go to the hell" she said. "mom!" I laughed.

"what? I'm just telling the truth, I'm sorry that I made you feel scared to tell me, I love you so so much and I don't want to lose my daughter just because of what she likes" she said.

I felt my eyes get watery and get emotional. "and el is a great girl.. I don't know her well but I can see it.. and if she makes you happy, so am I"she said. I couldn't help but sob. Happy tears.

"oh... Honey come here" she said opening her arms for me. I immediately hugged her tightly. As I quietly cried on her shoulder. I was so happy my mom accepted me. I finally got this feeling off my chest. With my family so far... I don't know about my other friends, Dustin, Mike (she doesn't know Mike knows but yeah),

Once I stopped crying I pulled away. "alright, you should get some sleep" she said. "so should you" I said laughing slightly. "yeah I know" she said laughing too.

I then finally fell asleep, relieved. I was planning on going over at El's tomorrow to talk and hang out. I want to ask her to be my girlfriend hut I don't know how. I'll think of something when I wake up tomorrow, I want to make it cute, not just ask her, I'll see

1138 words. To be continued!