Chapter 12: Where Are They?

El's pov

We ran into the car immediately. I picked up max since she was still unconscious and put her in the car. I went to max's mother car with max. Steve and Robin in the other car. "hey, she's gonna be okay" max's mom said as she was following Steve's car since she doesn't know where he lives. "has he hit her like that again?" I asked, still crying.

"yes a few times when he was mad, but he never this bad" she said. "she didn't tell me anything.." I quietly said. "we were both scared, and it wasn't all the time. He usually just yells at her or me. We've been fighting these days" she said. "I'm sorry" I said.

"it's not your fault" she said. "it is... I was the one who got into her room and we kissed" I said feeling guilty. "it's okay, you didn't know Neil would be out there" she said. Max then suddenly started to wake up. I felt relieved.

She looked up. She held her head and groaned in pain. "hey.." I quietly said. "you're okay now" I whispered. "where am I? What happened?" she asked confused.

"Neil hurt you but you're safe now I promise" I said. She paused for a second. I thought she lost her memories or something.

The realization hit her. "where is he? Why's mom here, where are we going?" she asked. "We're going at Steve's house" I said.

"why?" she asked. "because he's the ones who saved you from Neil when I got back to get you" I said. "what is the last thing you remember?" her mom asked.

She paused to think as her mother and I gave her time to think. "I-I remember Neil hitting me, el tried to push him but threw her on the ground...she stood up to try and get him away from me but I stopped her and told her to leave.."she said but paused again.

"she told me she would bring help and then Neil started yelling at me.. hitting me and shoving clothes in my backpack so I can leave, that's all I remember" she said.

Her mom was speechless. "did you bring Steve?" she asked finally making eye contact with me. I nodded. "I told you I would bring help" I said slowly putting a piece of hair behind her ear as she smiled weakly at me.

"thank you.." she whispered. I nodded smiling. She was still laying down, she then tried to sit up but groaned in pain realising its hard to.

"hey hey don't sit up it's okay, lay on my lap" I softly said. "it hurts... everywhere" she quietly said. "I know... I'm sorry" I said. "it's not your fault" she said. She slowly layed on my stomach looking up at me.

I started caressing and playing with her hair. "mom? Are you okay" max suddenly asked. "yeah don't worry about me" her mom said. "hey max?" her mom said. "yeah?" max tiredly said. "I'm sorry I wasn't there on time" she said. "it's fine" max replied. "where's Neil?" max asked.

"at home, we left him" her mom said. "wasn't he going to kick me out?" max asked. "yeah, but we didn't let that happen, we're going at Steve's for tonight and I'll-I'll try to tell Neil to leave tomorrow" her mom said.

"we both know he won't leave mom" max tiredly said. "I will try.. Its been a while that I've thought to get divorce" her mom said

"my dad's the chief of the police.."i said. They didn't say anything for a second. "you can't tell him el.. It's fine" max said.

I frowned confused. "why? He hurt you max" I said. "I'm fine...my mom will break up with him and we'll be fine okay?" she said.

"but-" I tried. "please." max said. I nodded.

Steve walked into his bathroom as soon as we got in. "one second I'll take something sit on the couches" Steve said as we all nodded and sat down. Robin was staring at max in fear and empathy.