Chapter 13: The Explanation

El's pov

Hopper was speechless when he saw max in this situation. Billy was behind hopper and his eyes widened in shock when he as well saw max. "max" Billy said walking towards her. Max sat up when hopper and Billy came, she was sleeping on my lap before. "I'm fine" max said.

"no you're not" Billy said scanning max's body. Will was there too. He gave me an apology look and I mouthed that it was fine. "what the hell happened?" hopper repeated siting down on the couch in front of the one max and I were sitting.

"nothing sir I'm okay" max said. She's a terrible liar. "Obviously you're not kid" hopper said. "tell me" hopper softly said.

We all looked at each other. If we tell him the truth he'll find out they I like girls.. so will Joyce and others.

"Okay Why's no one telling me?" hopper said. No one dared to answer again, they looked at max and I who weren't sure what to say.

"alright-let's-let's just get this from the start since no one's speaking" hopper said. Shit.

"El" he said pointing at me. "why the hell did you sneak out" hopper asked. The first excuse will and I agreed to tell hopper is that I would bring max homework but obviously it's the dumbest one in this case since he saw max beaten up right in front of him.

Max noticed that it was hard for me to tell hopper the truth. To basically come out. "I-um she came to give me homework that I-I needed" max lied as hopper raised his eyebrows.

"Couldn't she give it to you tomorrow morning at school?" hopper asked. That excuse was dumb. "It was urgent" max said as hopper nodded still not convinced.

"and why are you beaten up? Did el do this when she came to bring you homework" hopper sarcastically but seriously said.

"um-no-I-my step dad got mad at me and hurt me, el didn't do anything, it-it was before she came,I'm okay now" max lied again. She was trying her best not to call me out.

I was holding back tears. Something in me was telling me that hopper will hate me if I do, and so will everyone else. "why did he hurt you? Why are you and el including her mom I assume" he said pointing at max's mom. "at Steve's house? Why d-" hopper said but I cut him off.

I couldn't stand this. I knew it was pointless. Hopper knew from the start that we're lying and I don't blame him. A few tears fell.

"Fine! I snuk out to go over at max's house and kiss her-her step dad caught us and hurt max so I told Steve to come here and picked us up! Here! You got the truth!" I quickly said getting it off my chest as more tears fell. His face turned into a shock one as he stared at me in confusion, is he mad? Upset? Disappointed? I had no idea.

After a second of looking to see his reaction I stood up quickly before breaking down in front of everyone. I didn't want everyone to see that I was crying, how embarrassed and ashamed I was.

"wait el-" I heard hopper's voice as I was in the middle of the way to the bathroom but he stopped me. He pulled me into a hug while I was crying.

"I'm sorry" I sobbed as he rubbed my back. "no-don't apologise" hopper quietly said. We stood there for a few seconds but hop pulled away.

He took my hand and guided me back to the couches, where everyone waited for us in silence. I sat down at the same spot next to max and the others standing around us.

Max rubbed my back when I sat down seeing me upset. I covered my face with my hands embarrassed. "why are you covering up kid?" hopper asked.

"I'm already embarrassed enough dad-" I said quietly. "no-don't be embarrassed" Robin said. Max slowly grabbed my hands pulling them away from my face and gently held one as I smiled sadly. No matter how embarrassed I was for coming out at that moment I could never, never be embarrassed by max.

"look-im sorry if I ever made you feel like you couldn't tell me that-that you like girls el-and it doesn't matter to me, okay? There's no reason, at all to be embarrassed" hopper softly said.

I was looking down the entire time but I then looked up at him in surprise. "really?" I quietly asked fidgeting with my hand.

Hopper nodded smiling, I smiled back sniffing.  "alright um-max, I'm-I'm definitely arresting your step dad, don't worry about it, I'm sorry about what happened, has he been abusing you this whole time?" hopper said.

Max shook her heard. "Can you be honest with me kid? I'm not going to hurt you okay, I only want to help you" hopper said.

"He um-slapped me 2-3 times-other times were just yelling at me, he's got anger issues" max quietly said. "kid.. Please tell me the truth" hopper said.

"I am sir..this is the only time he hurt me, like badly, not just a slap" max said. "are you her mom?" hopper asked turning to Susan. She nodded.

"is this all truth?" hopper asked as she nodded. "what have you done about it?" he asked. "I-I the first like 2 times he slapped max I threatened him that we'll break up and hoped he would change. But instead of not slapping he started yelling and basically being mad easily" Susan said.

"has he hurt you?" hopper asked. "once-when we were fighting" her mom replied. "has he hurt you?" hopper asked turning to Billy. "he-he used to hurt my mom so they broke up and we came here in Hawkins-he slapped me a few times when I did bad things such as smoking or crashing his car by accident" billly admitted.

"that's not a reason to abuse your kid" hopper told himself. "it wasn't a daily thing sir.. I promise I wanted to break up with him but I was scared he might hurt max or Billy, but we've been fighting recently, I'm going to try and kick him out tomorrow" max's mom said.

"but-" hopper said. "sir I appreciate your help but he's going to hurt us if he finds out we told you.. I'll try to kick him out and he'll be out of our lives" her mom said. "what about billy?" hopper asked.

Susan turned to Billy. "he'll stay with max and I, unless he wants to go with his father" Susan replied. "it doesn't matter. What if he comes after out of nowhere and hurts you or max or Billy? It's not safe, and if I arrest him he'll be out of you lives for sure without fear. If you let him go you'll be in fear that he'll come back" hopper said.

The three stayed quiet. So did the rest of us. We didn't say anything since it was their thing. I squeezed max's hand to comfort her. It looked like she calmed down a bit by that fortunately. "okay-um..fine sir, thank you" susan said as hopper nodded.

Suddenly we heard a knock on the door. "it's probably the delivery man" Steve said standing up. "did you order pizza?" Robin asked confused. "yeah, I thought eveyone would be hungry after all this" Steve said walking towards the door. Max and I looked at each other.

She must have thought the same thing. What if it was Neil. He opened the door. It was Neil. "oh it's you!" Neil angrily said.

1310 words. To be continued..
Sorry for this kind of short chapter, its been a busy day today, school starts soon🙄😀🔫