Chapter 89: Benny's Burgers

Max's pov

El and I finally arrived at benny's burgers. We walked in. A few old men were there. "hello girls!" benny smiling said. "hello" we both replied smiling.

He either didn't care about our relationship or he didn't know the news yet. "Get the hell out of here disgusting dukes!" an old man said rudely. I frowned. There it is again..

El dragged us out of the store without second thought. That broke my heart because that meant she was truly hurt and tired of this. "Wait-don't leave" benny said. We stopped walking and turned back around

"What are you doing benny?" the men asked him. "I'm not kicking out costumers, are you crazy? I've known Jane and the chief. The chief and I are friends" benny said.

"Come and sit girls, don't listen to those" benny said. We smiled and sat down on a table. The men scoffed. "I'm not staying here with them here, they're simmers and a disease" the man who spoke earlier said standing up

I'm not gonna lie, this whole thing that is happening hurts. I don't really care but at the same time I do...so does el. "Fine leave" benny said. "Oh really? You prefer to let some random 16 year old disgusting dykes stay and you let your friend you've knows for years leave?" the man asked.

"Yes, you're being ridiculous John" benny told him. The man scoffed and left the restaurant. El and I were speechless. "Thanks" we said. Benny smiled. We then ordered.

4-5 men were still there just talking to each other while watching a football match. After a few minutes our food was ready. El and I then just started talking while eating.

Suddenly el looked at the clock on the wall. Her eyes widened. "what? What is it?" I asked. I then noticed. We told hopper and my mom to pick us up from school at like 16:30 pm. It was now 16:25pm. We needed at least 15 minutes by walking to go to school from benny's so we wouldn't be there on time

Which means hopper and my mom will get worried when they don't find us at school. We looked at each other. "We have to go" el said. "Wait-what if we call hopper and my mom to at least let them know we're gonna come late?" I said.

"How? Is there a phone here?" el asked. I pointed at a phone hanging on the wall far from us. We asked benny if we could use it, he agreed.

El's pov

I dialed hopper's number. I was planning on calling my mom after as well. "Hey dad, I've called to let you know that max and I will be late. We came here to benny's burgers and we lost track of time sorry-" I said.

"Oh.. Its okay I'll pick you up from there kid. Max is with you right?" hopper asked. "Yeah" I said. "I'll tell her mom that I'll pick you both up" hopper said. "Really? Okay that's nice!" I said smiling.

"yeah of course" hopper said. We the hung up. I walked back and sat down. "I'm gonna call my mom-" max said standing up. She waited for me to finish talking with hopper.

"Hopper told me we're gonna pick you up" I interrupted her. She frowned. "Oh, is that okay? You don't have to I can call my mom-" max said. "yes it's fine max. Hopper suggested, he'll tell your mom don't worry" I said.

"plus, I would love to spend some more time with you" I said smiling. We were talking quietly don't hear us. They were too busy cursing and yelling at the players on the Tv.

"Oh really, even in car rides?" max asked laughing as she smirked. I giggled. "Yes, because we get to hold hands.. Listen to music! It's such a fun relaxing time!" I said smiling. She smiled widely.

"Ew why are you smiling like that to each other?" an old man said. We turned and looked at him frowning. We didn't even hold hands. So they don't 'get uncomfortable' whatever that is